(updated) A Really Good Relic Site, Second Trip With The Equinox 800

"Yippie Ki Yay"

• Like 3

Gorgeous gold coin.  😍 Congrats on that!!! Never feel pressured on telling us information on your sites. Remember anyone in the world (including your locality) can read this and visit your site. Amazing that people can even lose gold coins but it seems to happen quite a lot. I bet losing that hurt the wallet 😄

• Like 3

For the record, @abenson has posted pictures before, that I immediately knew exactly where they were taken.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  And I know I have posted pictures that he knew exactly where they were too.  It's just good policy to be cautious about that stuff.

- Dave

• Like 4
  • Oh my! 1

29 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

For the record, @abenson has posted pictures before, that I immediately knew exactly where they were taken.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  And I know I have posted pictures that he knew exactly where they were too.  It's just good policy to be cautious about that stuff.

- Dave

It's comforting to know that there are still people out there in the hobby that have that level of respect and integrity.

1 hour ago, schoolofhardNox said:

Amazing that people can even lose gold coins but it seems to happen quite a lot.

As you know, $1 and $2.5 mid gold coins were tiny.  For comparison, a tiny trime has a 14mm diameter, a $1 gold piece 12.5 to 14mm diameter and $2 1/2 gold piece had an 18mm diameter.  So if you were lucky to possess one, it was also very easy to drop in grass or brush without noticing and even if you did realize it, still hard to sight find and recover.  Many are found were people rested their horses near water.  They reclined against a rock or tree, and it could easily slip out of a pocket there.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UT Dave said:

- Dave

Yep, I can tell by the type of vegetation and soil color clinging to the finds in that first photo exactly where Andrew had been...headed there right now.

Seriously though, make sure any photos you are posting are at least stripped of any geo tag information in the image metadata (or, better yet, don't let your phone/camera tag the photos in the first place). That's the easiest way to inadvertently give away site or private permission information.  Not only do you risk interlopers, you can add insult to injury and lose sensitive private permissions because the landowner may mistakenly think you are intentionally letting outsiders piggy back on to your site access without his permission.

• Like 8

Unfortunately some some people will go to extreme lengths to cash in on other peoples hard work and success, Levi at Tassie Boys Prospecting told me that he has found trail cameras set up in an effort to pin down his locations. And despite all the effort and amount of followers him and Rob Parsons have, thereby attracting tourists to Tasmania, Parks and Wildlife have fined Rob for filming on their land without a permit. Sorry, abenson for going off topic, it looks like your research has paid off, nice gold coin.

• Like 1