I Thought I Did Okay!

In today's day and age, you gotta find an un-hunted or rarely hunted beach to pull 4 golds in one hunt. I'll never do that in my lifetime down here unless I stumble upon a busy beach that hasn't seen a detector. We know that ain't happin'! 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

In today's day and age, you gotta find an un-hunted or rarely hunted beach to pull 4 golds in one hunt. I'll never do that in my lifetime down here unless I stumble upon a busy beach that hasn't seen a detector. We know that ain't happin'! 

Hi Brad, In the dry sand or at the lake I would agree with you but in the wet sand after heavy beach erosion has taken place, even the most heavily hunted beaches can produce eye-popping amounts of gold jewelry - at least, that's how it is in Southern California.

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, Compass said:

So, on my last hunt I found 4 gold rings at the lake with my Equinox

8 minutes ago, Compass said:

Hi Brad, In the dry sand or at the lake I would agree with you

But you found the 4 in one hunt at a lake, right? I didn't forget about the California gold rush after the storms out there this year. I was very jealous.

• Confused 1

"I didn't forget about the California gold rush after the storms out there this year. I was very jealous."

Don't you have the same conditions when the hurricanes pass through??

I've never detected in Florida but I've been envious that you have year round beachgoers (depositors), Spanish treasure and hurricanes that move tons of sand.

Nice hunt with great finds, we all know that you don't care about Tamps's whining.

Good luck on your next outing and keep making those nice saves.

8 hours ago, Compass said:

Don't you have the same conditions when the hurricanes pass through??

I've never detected in Florida but I've been envious that you have year round beachgoers (depositors), Spanish treasure and hurricanes that move tons of sand.

I grew up in Florida on the northeast coast.  I've detected a little bit there and on the treasure coast and it is as close as you will get to southern California detecting but it is still miles apart most of the time.  On those beaches there you can get a cut.  South Florida east coast beaches are different starting to get more like the islands with fewer swell conditions.

When you move over to the west coast of Florida you really lose a swell and wave energy pattern like we have on ALL of the west coast.  From Ft. Myers to Pensacola I would do two things.  Wade or dive in the water and hunt the blanket lines and the beach and this would include lakes and springs.

My recent find of two big pieces and one more 2 gram ring last night is a bit of luck but also just hours.  It has been a couple of years since I put this many hours in for one week.  I missed out on our hurricane events because I didn't go to the waves and get my share.

Gerry and cjc go and get it and I know some others who don't wait on the gold to come into shore.

Is there anyone who wades Clearwater Beach?

Compass, you and many others in socal are way ahead of me on gold.  That is why I said I had an epic night but it is mostly a one off.  Keep showing what you find.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice hunt with great finds, we all know that you don't care about Tamps's whining.

Thanks VL, but I'm not insensitive to anyone who may not have access to the variety of treasure hunting we enjoy here in SoCal. I see Pieces of Eight and high-end jewelry from South Florida and think that the state is metal detecting heaven. Thank you mn30403 for explaining some of the differences between the beaches here and there.

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mn90403 said:

I grew up in Florida on the northeast coast.  I've detected a little bit there and on the treasure coast and it is as close as you will get to southern California detecting but it is still miles apart most of the time.  On those beaches there you can get a cut.  South Florida east coast beaches are different starting to get more like the islands with fewer swell conditions.

When you move over to the west coast of Florida you really lose a swell and wave energy pattern like we have on ALL of the west coast.  From Ft. Myers to Pensacola I would do two things.  Wade or dive in the water and hunt the blanket lines and the beach and this would include lakes and springs.

My recent find of two big pieces and one more 2 gram ring last night is a bit of luck but also just hours.  It has been a couple of years since I put this many hours in for one week.  I missed out on our hurricane events because I didn't go to the waves and get my share.

Gerry and cjc go and get it and I know some others who don't wait on the gold to come into shore.

Is there anyone who wades Clearwater Beach?

Compass, you and many others in socal are way ahead of me on gold.  That is why I said I had an epic night but it is mostly a one off.  Keep showing what you find.

Thanks M, I appreciate the info on Florida's Beaches. Regardless of what anyone has found over the years, that was a spectacular hunt you had. Making two "finds of a lifetime" on the same hunt is a pretty rare accomplishment.            I have found gold chains in freshwater by digging 1's and 2's on the Nox but I have yet to do so at the beach since I'm mostly a pulse guy. What a thrill that must have been for you to see that "2" pop up when you know you are in the right spot at the right time. 🙏😯

• Like 3