Capped Bust Dime

Lodge Scent

Thanks everybody! Yeah I am quite stoked with that one. It looked good covered in dirt so it went right into my coin find container in between 2 cotton balls. But I was amazed to see that detail when I got home and gave it a soapy soak and a good rinse. It's both my best AND earliest US silver.

GB_Amateur, thanks for the research! And you are right, I am keeping it for the memories. Though, if it was one of those curl base 2 varieties, it might be hard to say no to 6 figures. 😉

CPT, I do believe the "Bird Dog" settings helped flush that iron masked dime out. I have no doubt that there have been many coils over that target before, including mine many times. I also think the low Reactivity helped. I plan to hunt in the Bird Dog mode for a while. It shouldn't take too long to see if this unmasking was just a fluke. 

Lodge

• Like 4

A wonderful find. Congratulations.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 6:22 PM, Lodge Scent said:

CPT, I do believe the "Bird Dog" settings helped flush that iron masked dime out. I have no doubt that there have been many coils over that target before, including mine many times. I also think the low Reactivity helped. I plan to hunt in the Bird Dog mode for a while. It shouldn't take too long to see if this unmasking was just a fluke. 

Lodge

I finally got to try out two different versions of the Bird Dog program (Sensitive Full Tones & Goldfield) a few days ago on some nasty relic ground.  This ground was a burn dump since the late 1800s and full of iron, melted metals, coal, coke, and pitch. Unfortunately both dogs could not hunt this dirt and just barked on everything ferrous and non-ferrous. I'll have to try tweaking the programs some and maybe try out on some milder ground.

• Like 1

Yeah, sounds like that site was nasty CPT. I used it again Sunday. I managed to sniff out a few mid tone finds but the falsing in the heavy iron was not only unpleasant but not conducive to finding high conductors unless their VDIs get dragged down to the mid tone range.

• Like 1

Beautiful!  I would have a big grin plastered on my face for weeks!

WoW it cleaned up Very Nice. Congratz