Equinox 6" Coil Falsing On The Edge Worse That The 11" Coil

dave_e

I prefer the 6" to the 11" coil in the trash, but it falses on the edge of the coil considerably more than the 11".

I'm getting used to it but it's taking a lot longer to verify signals.  I'm already going slower because of the coil size.

Anyone come up with settings/adjustments to decrease the coil edge falsing? 

Are you getting a consistent false with repeated passes or just on the initial hit?

I have a few sites where the iron is in small bits & pieces and very deteriorated. That is going to false with every machine I have, some more than others, some less no matter the settings.  I just have to be patient & slow to work thru it.   Sites with bigger iron or not so deteriorated are much easier to work.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:22 AM, dave_e said:

I prefer the 6" to the 11" coil in the trash, but it falses on the edge of the coil considerably more than the 11".

I'm getting used to it but it's taking a lot longer to verify signals.  I'm already going slower because of the coil size.

Anyone come up with settings/adjustments to decrease the coil edge falsing? 

Dave, pretty much a 6in. coil user with the equinox 800 &900 most of the time. Let me say I tried the 10x5 for about 6 mo. I decided I preferred the 6in. Not so much falsing on the edge of the coil as falsing off the tip of a rusty bolt or nail. Ever notice, pop the plug, the pinpointer say staight down. you think this is good, but as you dig the signal starts pulling to the side wall of the plug. This is that. So the 900 seems to do iron wrap more than the 800. When I suspect iron wrap or iron falsing  I'll pinpoint to see if the signal pinpoints under the sweet spot of the coil. If it doesn't it s junk, a good target won't move. Also pinpoint can give you an idea of target size. Next what I like to do is go into 2 tone. You would be surprised how descriptive 2 tone can be on a target that sounds sweet in 5 tone. Scratchy, elongated tones are definitely not a coin sized non-ferrous target. Throw a coin on the ground, sweep in 2 tone. Throw a rusty nail down and sweep that, you'll see what I'm talking about. Not foolproof but it will help a bit. Good luck. Mark

5 hours ago, dave_e said:

@JCR

Getting the edge falsing on all passes until I rotate and shrink the sweep until it's a tight and tiny wiggle.  Actually tickling the target.  It's doable but time consuming.

@Lynk

Equinox 600

Another thing to add, small nails can sound sweet from a couple different angles. In t 2 tone they will not sound round or smooth. One more thing I read, haven't tried, only because I keep forgetting  is if you go into ground balance mode and sweep they say uo can hear the iron coming off the target. Good luck. Mark