White's Surf Pi Control Box Cover Replace Or Repair

Compass

I was looking at my old PI Pro that I use as a loaner and was surprised to find a crack in the control box cover that might compromise its waterproofness. Someone out there may have a non-working PI Pro (or Dual Field) that is only good for parts and willing to sell me the box cover for $30? The covers are the same for a number of White's PI detectors - just with different decals and the covers are easily removed (no tools required). The dimensions are approximately 4" x 6-3/8", Thanks!

IMG_20231114_063811__01.jpg

IMG_20231114_063759__01.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I would try a slow setting (5-7 min) epoxy for repair of coils and such... the kind that model builders use. It comes in various consistencies from gel to watery. That's if you like to DYI or can't find an extra cover.

Hey a little dab will do you 😀

TC-AZ

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 7:13 AM, Compass said:

I was looking at my old PI Pro that I use as a loaner and was surprised to find a crack in the control box cover that might compromise its waterproofness. Someone out there may have a non-working PI Pro (or Dual Field) that is only good for parts and willing to sell me the box cover for $30? The covers are the same for a number of White's PI detectors - just with different decals and the covers are easily removed (no tools required). The dimensions are approximately 4" x 6-3/8", Thanks!

IMG_20231114_063811__01.jpg

IMG_20231114_063759__01.jpg

Much appreciated TC-AZ.

I've  got one PM if you want it.  

cjc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, cjc said:

I've  got one PM if you want it.  

cjc

PM sent!

You can repair it as good as new with this

IPS Adhesives Weld-On 16 Acrylic Plastic Cement, Solvent Based Adhesive Clear 5 oz Tube (ellsworth.com)

Weldon Acrylic Glue (SCIGRIP 16) is especially formulated to bond acrylic (poly-methyl methacrylate) plastics. It can also be used for bonding styrene, butyrate, PVC, ABS and polycarbonate, as well as other plastics and porous surfaces.

SCIGRIP 16 is a very high strength, clear, medium bodied, fast curing, solvent-type acrylic cement. Applied to cast, molded or extruded acrylics, it will affect initial bonds very quickly so some parts may be handled within a few minutes. Bond strength continues to develop very rapidly reaching a substantial level and forming strong joints within hours. This product may be thinned with SCIGRIP 3 by approximately 10%. Initial bond forms very quickly so some parts may be handled within a few minutes of application. Joints are water and weather resistant and will generally have similar physical and chemical properties to acrylic plastic.

This stuff is absolutely awesome, not a typical glue by any means.  It's used for double glazed acrylic windows for campervans and caravans to hold the two panes together, and is perfectly clear but very strong.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:50 AM, phrunt said:

You can repair it as good as new with this

IPS Adhesives Weld-On 16 Acrylic Plastic Cement, Solvent Based Adhesive Clear 5 oz Tube (ellsworth.com)

Weldon Acrylic Glue (SCIGRIP 16) is especially formulated to bond acrylic (poly-methyl methacrylate) plastics. It can also be used for bonding styrene, butyrate, PVC, ABS and polycarbonate, as well as other plastics and porous surfaces.

SCIGRIP 16 is a very high strength, clear, medium bodied, fast curing, solvent-type acrylic cement. Applied to cast, molded or extruded acrylics, it will affect initial bonds very quickly so some parts may be handled within a few minutes. Bond strength continues to develop very rapidly reaching a substantial level and forming strong joints within hours. This product may be thinned with SCIGRIP 3 by approximately 10%. Initial bond forms very quickly so some parts may be handled within a few minutes of application. Joints are water and weather resistant and will generally have similar physical and chemical properties to acrylic plastic.

This stuff is absolutely awesome, not a typical glue by any means.  It's used for double glazed acrylic windows for campervans and caravans to hold the two panes together, and is perfectly clear but very strong.

Thank you Simon, I have a replacement cover on its way to me but I appreciate the information. This acrylic glue looks impressive! George.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Wtb White's Pi Control Box Cover (found One - Thank You Clive!)

Yes, it's a solvent cement, similar to how plumbers use solvent cements to fuse PVC pipes together, far superior to glues that just bond things together, solvent cements soften and dissolve the plastic material, changing its molecular structure. then they can fuse together which is why they can use used for high pressure water pipes.  It just has to be compatible with the plastic which you can tell that pretty easily when using it, but that Whites plastic looks just the right stuff.  Handy stuff to have in your toolbox.

• Like 3

• The title was changed to White's Surf Pi Control Box Cover Replace Or Repair