Go Terrain Available???

Dan(NM)

I installed it out of curiosity and will give it a try on my next outing, but I'm skeptical.  For one, I can't see that it will help me find anything more, but more importantly, when I'm detecting, my phone is in my pocket,  I have rubber gloves on my hands, a shovel in my left hand and the detector in my right.  If I have to put the detector and shovel down, and take my gloves off to access the phone... even if the gloves are not caked in mud, as they often are... it ain't gonna happen.

Where I do see that it may help a little is in showing areas that maybe we missed, but there are already apps out there that will map your path.  Nothing new about that, and no subscription needed to use them.

14 minutes ago, iron_buzz said:

Where I do see that it may help a little is in showing areas that maybe we missed, but there are already apps out there that will map your path.  Nothing new about that, and no subscription needed to use them.

I tend to agree, regarding the other tracking apps.  But one thing this one does that the others don't is that it automatically records target IDs even for the targets you don't recover, so it makes a good tool for quickly surveying a site and automatically recording target hot spot areas.  Unfortunately, GPS accuracy limitations may not be up to the task.

I'm particularly interested in the "on the fly" function of being able to draw a box and detect that area with notifications when you go outside what you mapped.

Cell service and mobile Internet are not that great in my area, despite having the service that is most present. GPS is often pretty far off here due to all the military testing. I'll be testing it soon.

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I tend to agree, regarding the other tracking apps.  But one thing this one does that the others don't is that it automatically records target IDs even for the targets you don't recover, so it makes a good tool for quickly surveying a site and automatically recording target hot spot areas.  Unfortunately, GPS accuracy limitations may not be up to the task.

If your Apple iPhone is older than iPhone 14, then the GPS accuracy will likely be limited to plus or minus several meters (on data collection and again when attempting to find the previously located spot). Theoretically, starting with the iPhone 14, the accuracy should be better.  Apple claims the new accuracy is centimeter-level, which would be survey level accuracy.  I don’t know if that requires a special subscription, and I don’t have that new an iPhone.  So, I have not been able to confirm.

14 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'm particularly interested in the "on the fly" function of being able to draw a box and detect that area with notifications when you go outside what you mapped.

Cell service and mobile Internet are not that great in my area, despite having the service that is most present. GPS is often pretty far off here due to all the military testing. I'll be testing it soon.

I agree I have been using CalTopo and maprica. It would be great if you could add historical map overlays. CalTopo does a really great job with that 

On 11/17/2023 at 6:17 PM, Chase Goldman said:

I tried using it for a while yesterday and it went WAYYYYY overboard on recording targets!  I had it on Auto mode because I don't want to be pulling my phone out of my pocket to confirm every target, but if there isn't some way to tame this down, there is no way I'm going to be using it. 

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Has anybody noticed a substantial battery drain on the coil or remote using Go Terrain? 

Not as yet for me, but I only used it for about 3 hours. Bluetooth is low energy draw, I'm hoping the drain is minimal. However, keeping the phone hot is gonna hurt, I recommend a PD battery for that. 🤔

9 hours ago, iron_buzz said:

I tried using it for a while yesterday and it went WAYYYYY overboard on recording targets!  I had it on Auto mode because I don't want to be pulling my phone out of my pocket to confirm every target, but if there isn't some way to tame this down, there is no way I'm going to be using it. 

I found it is very chatty too. I was in an area with a lot of emi 

29 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Not as yet for me, but I only used it for about 3 hours. Bluetooth is low energy draw, I'm hoping the drain is minimal. However, keeping the phone hot is gonna hurt, I recommend a PD battery for that. 🤔

I agree it wasn’t too bad on the battery on the phone or the Deus remote or coil. Now I just have see how I can mount the phone. 😆

image.jpg