Minelab Now Selling Models Made In China

Yes, it is true. The new Minelab X-Terra Voyager is made in China. No doubt so they can sell it for only $149 and still make a buck. Also Amazon only, bypassing dealer network. What does this say about the future direction of Minelab the company... or should I say Codan?

From the Amazon sales page country of origin is China. Full specifications and user manual download here.

minelab-xterra-voyager-metal-detector.png

minelab-xterra-voyager-made-in-china.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Oh my! 4

What's to stop Minelab ceasing all detector production in Malaysia........and moving everything to China 😬

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Northeast said:

maybe production in China is a step forward

Could well be.....I mean there are plenty of quality made electronics coming from China....Apple comes to mind. It really depends on companies deciding the "quality" of their products. Chinese company could make a GPZ7000 for $500 or $5000 depending on what parameters their client companies set for any given product.

I wonder where my GP3500 was made ?

• Like 2

If Minelab was to do that. It would be in CODAN's own factory located in China.  I can't see them sub-contracting where they would not have quality control over production.

The machines made in Malaysia are made in Codan's factory.

Doc

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 10:51 PM, Doc said:

If Minelab was to do that. It would be in CODAN's own factory located in China.  I can't see them sub-contracting where they would not have quality control over production.

The machines made in Malaysia are made in Codan's factory.

Doc

No they are not. And I would bet they do not own a facility in China either. They still do some assembly elsewhere but manufacturing is mainly farmed out to Plexus, a U.S. based company, and manufactured in the Plexus Riverside facility in Penang, Malaysia.

“Since December 2009, the Codan Group’s manufacturing service provider, Plexus Corp, a US company, situated in Penang, Malaysia has been responsible for the majority of Minelab’s worldwide metal detector production. Minelab is proud of its association with its outsource partner in Malaysia. Genuine Minelab metal detectors are exclusively manufactured by Minelab in Australia and by Plexus Corp, USA in the Malaysian facility.”

From http://www.referenceforbusiness.com/history2/68/Plexus-Corporation.html:

“Plexus was incorporated in Wisconsin in 1979 and began operations in 1980. The company was founded by Peter Strandwitz, John Nussbaum, and a group of other entrepreneurs, interested in a venture to design and build computer circuit boards by contract. Located in the eastern Wisconsin city of Neenah, on Lake Winnebago, the new company found the bulk of their early work through contracts with IBM.”

Plexus Corp.
One Plexus Way 
Neenah, WI 54956

• Public Company
  • Incorporated:1979
  • Employees:3,150
  • Sales:$492.4 million (1999)
  • Stock Exchanges:NASDAQ
  • Ticker Symbol:PLXS

From https://www.plexus.com/en-us/news/utc-aerospace-systems-recognizes-plexus-with-utc-s:

“NEENAH, WI – December 7, 2017 - Plexus (NASDAQ: PLXS) a global leader in providing design and development, manufacturing, supply chain and aftermarket services, announced today that UTC Aerospace Systems has recognized the Plexus Riverside facility in Penang, Malaysia with UTC Supplier Gold status. UTC Aerospace Systems is one of the world’s largest suppliers of technologically advanced aerospace and defense products.

UTC Supplier Gold status program recognizes suppliers for world-class, integrated supply chain performance. To achieve Supplier Gold status, suppliers must achieve zero escapes (quality rejections), 100% on-time delivery, overall customer satisfaction and a score greater than or equal to 80% on a supplier health assessment.”

Plexus Riverside facility:

8ED8E6F8-B0F3-4B7C-B3C7-A69C9F6BAF0C.jpeg

This was previously posted on the forum in 2017:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I don't care where my next detector is made, as long as it's good quality, comes with a decent warranty, and is supported well by the manufacturer.

• Like 4