Docs Swingy Thingy And Swing Arm

DSMITH

On 11/23/2023 at 3:52 PM, Aureous said:

@phrunt @Doc How does an overseas customer buy your gear? Most of the Docs  product pages say 'Orders to the USA only' 🤔

Kind of the same situation over here, I was going to order the hip stick from one of the places in Australia and ran into the same thing N/A for U.S orders, then I found one place I could get one in Australia and the shipping was more than the hip stick kit, so decided to make one myself.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

If it's off the shelf ingredients why go to the trouble and expense of getting delivery when you can cook it yourself for minimal cost and effort. Bon Appétit

I know you expressed concern about the little red bit on mine up at the screw point for the pole in messages, note where it came from.

hipsticktop.thumb.jpeg.c5f7847b90fb9d981087c78a4787f615.jpeg

When your Werner Tool belt ball part arrives, it comes with it, from the Werner part advertisement 🙂

1XGF8_AS01.jpg.46544881e272f6e193046654fe8c441f.jpg

This part is all you need, with a plastic clip, D-ring and tent pole or even better than the sold design a carbon fiber and a few cents worth of webbing.  It even comes with the hair tie if you're good at knots.

A noval idea using off the shelf ingredients, it does the job required.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2023 at 3:43 PM, Aureous said:

I think you need to edit your website listings then... even small things like Qweegle, Saga and Swingy thingy have this no sales outside USA issue. You'd be losing heaps of 1st time buyers, thinking that you don't sell overseas. Only once I looked the 'details' page on each product, did I see the true picture. Im sure lots of others might be confused and disappointed. Im just trying to help, not annoy. I really like the Swingy Thingy and Qweegle combo. I'll be buying one off you soon. Clever designs...I was thinking along the same line years ago but never did anything about getting something made up. I'm getting an SD2200 modded next year as my big gold and backup unit....think I'll be needing your combo for sure!

All of those things can be purchased on Ebay and shipped internationally.  Here's the problem countries in the European Union require you to collect duty before shipping.  You have to get a license, then you have to submit the tax to each of these countries.  It's an enormous hassle, and I'm not getting involved in it.  Australia is fine because I don't have to collect the import duty first.

Ebay is fine because they already have the license and they collect the import duty and submit it to the country.

All of the items on my website can be shipped to Australia, however as I said the shipping will be more.  My Australian customers generally contact me tell me what they need I package it up, tell them what the shipping would be.  If it meets with their approval I sent them a payment link with the invoice and were all set.

Doc

• Like 4

You're right Doc, each country having different rules and regulations and shipping costs vary so much, contact you first are the only viable options, Australia is nice and easy though.  We saw how easy New Zealand was, very quick shipping, no customs problems and in the end the shipping I paid was really reasonable.

On 11/24/2023 at 8:01 AM, Goldseeker5000 said:

I had bought Doc's guide arm and when I got it and saw it was enormously large where it connects to the shaft, I was thinking why is this made so big a diameter? It would not stay where you attach it and it kept flopping around. I used it two days and called up my dealer and bought the Gpz 7000 guide arm. This was ideal as it stays where you clamp it on and has more flexibility at the joint. You don't have to cut anything down and glue the knob on. The other one was going to be thrown away but I decided to give it away. I don't see the logic in making the universal attachment knuckle so large as to accommodate one detector shaft, that it hinders all other detector shaft mounting functionality. Sorry Doc, I am not trying to slam you at all but the universal joint doesn't work. Perhaps provide two sizes of joints that can be chosen from and make the guide arm length not so long that you have to cut and glue. Also a ball joint would provide more flexibility as well providing the plastic used is higher quality. 

Wait until your break your third Minelab guide arm.  Because they do break and they break often.  The longer rod accommodates folks who are tall.  One size does not fit all.  I make my products to be durable and to last.

I used the Minelab Swing Arm until I snapped the third one.  That is when I decided to develop something new, something different that actually guided the coil.  Everyone has their favorite accessory, and I'm happy you found something that works for you.

By the way I might mention if you want a valuable addition to your Minelab Swing Arm, buy one of those Swing Atm clips Phrunt has pictured, being Minelab does not supply a Swing Arm clip to store their Swing Arm when you are not using it  They work wonderfully.

Doc

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Kind of the same situation over here, I was going to order the hip stick from one of the places in Australia and ran into the same thing N/A for U.S orders,

Pretty sure JP would have sold you one and shipped to the US.  His son took over the MFG of these.

7 hours ago, phrunt said:

You're right Doc, each country having different rules and regulations and shipping costs vary so much, contact you first are the only viable options, Australia is nice and easy though.  We saw how easy New Zealand was, very quick shipping, no customs problems and in the end the shipping I paid was really reasonable.

Phrunt, I forgot to thank you for showing that Swing Arm Shaft clip.  I got 50 of them.  Next iteration of my SAGA shaft clamp I intend to incorporate some elements of that clamp in the design.  The rubber elements are great because they make the clamp more resistance to breakage.

However the ability to connect it to the detector shaft needs to be more versatile because it will not fit a lot of the detector shafts out there.  I am thinking of a hybrid that uses the strap attachment I have designed with the rubber clamp.

Never know what you are going to find on the Ali site.  Some good some bad, but usually the good stuff is priced very reasonably.

Thanks Phrunt.

Doc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Swegin said:

Pretty sure JP would have sold you one and shipped to the US.  His son took over the MFG of these.

JPs store was one of the ones that said U.S orders N/A

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Phrunt, I forgot to thank you for showing that Swing Arm Shaft clip.  I got 50 of them.  Next iteration of my SAGA shaft clamp I intend to incorporate some elements of that clamp in the design.  The rubber elements are great because they make the clamp more resistance to breakage.

However the ability to connect it to the detector shaft needs to be more versatile because it will not fit a lot of the detector shafts out there.  I am thinking of a hybrid that uses the strap attachment I have designed with the rubber clamp.

Never know what you are going to find on the Ali site.  Some good some bad, but usually the good stuff is priced very reasonably.

Thanks Phrunt.

Doc

@Doc do you sell the part that goes on the detector for the Queegle separately, if so can you PM me a price I would like to set up two more detectors so I can use the Queegle on them also, but I do not want to purchase a whole Queegle system for each detector

Doc I don't use the minelab clip. I believe the quick connect clip I have is from down under. It is fast and works great. No need to change. The minelab guide arm gets put through a lot of abuse from me when strapping it down on my atv and the crazy terrain I go through. It has been holding up nicely. I do have a backup attachment joint as I am aware after a while they likely will break, but mine has been great for over a year of use every day throughout the year.