Slow Week On The Relic Forum

On 12/7/2023 at 8:23 PM, Doc Bach said:

The knife age unknown came out of the mud in a spring.

On 12/8/2023 at 5:18 AM, F350Platinum said:

I'm a fan of hunting and combat knives, which I think the topmost one might be

Doc,

See you’re out North California or Southern Oregon. If I recall correctly The Hudson Bay Company was trading into southern Oregon in the early 1800’s. They may not have reached as far as the Salmon or Klamath drainages but their trade goods may have. Even earlier the Russians were trading out of Fort Ross. The Jed Smith party passed through the area in the 1830’s. Sea ports in the area provided goods to the miners in the 1850’s. I can’t determine the length of the upper knife but the dagger shape and double cutting edges may point to an old rigging knife. The old timers would often use them as a boot knife for protection as needed. You may have yourself a real historic find. 

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Good to see some really cool finds Doc! 👍 I'm a fan of hunting and combat knives, which I think the topmost one might be (Ek?). I think kac is right about the seated, no date? Also surprised at the razor's condition.

I often wonder how many knives I miss because I don't dig much iron. 🤔 The addition of brass and nickel will give clues, and when I get the "Fruit Salad" of tones I dig. 

It's not for lack of trying but I did get 3 new places to hunt yesterday, so maybe I can shake things up a bit before the holidays 😁 been busy earning Detecting Points™ at home. 🤣

Thanks 350.The razor came out of a rock pile underneath a massive old oak.I was using my pinpointer stand alone to prod around in the crevasses etc now that the snakes are in the ground for the most part. Not enough space for even a smaller coil type situation if we ever do get one? I dig a lot of iron but you are spot on about the nickel knobs on the blades giving mixed tonal alerts as well as vdi.

Doc

25 minutes ago, HardPack said:

Doc,

See you’re out North California or Southern Oregon. If I recall correctly The Hudson Bay Company was trading into southern Oregon in the early 1800’s. They may not have reached as far as the Salmon or Klamath drainages but their trade goods may have. Even earlier the Russians were trading out of Fort Ross. The Jed Smith party passed through the area in the 1830’s. Sea ports in the area provided goods to the miners in the 1850’s. I can’t determine the length of the upper knife but the dagger shape and double cutting edges may point to an old rigging knife. The older timers would often use them as a boot knife for protection as needed. You may have yourself a real historic find. 

All good points and information H P.Back in 1978 I was steelhead fishing a locally famous river over on the coast near Fort Ross and got bored with the fish and started poking around for evidence of early habitation.Long and very interesting story short I found a small camp laden with early bottle glass and trade beads. Which on a return trip with my Garrett Master Hunter VLF led to the discovery of many relics and artifacts both Russian and Native including several forged Harpoon Points used for seals, sea lions and otter hunting.They were either brought down from Sitka during the original expedition or more likely forged at the Russian colony.I've been contemplating for sometime about posting photos and the rest of the story???

13 hours ago, Doc Bach said:

badly worn seated quarter found just  inches away.

Turn the contrast up on the coin, you may make on the date.  Looks like ?87?. 

1 hour ago, Doc Bach said:

I've been contemplating for sometime about posting photos and the rest of the story???

Post the story, we all know the artifacts were left in place. I was talking to a local archeologist over a turkey dinner about one the emigrant trails crossing the Sierras. Turns out they found an old powder horn with an engraved brass tip along the trail, late 1830 to early 1840’s. No records of whose oxen pulled over the summit but portions of the trail still exist. All the pre-gold rush natives, explorers, beaver trappers, path finders and early settlers passed this way from east to west and west to east. They didn’t name Carson City for Johnny.

Post it Doc

This is a fantastic post Doc.  I have found a few gold rush era knives.   I really like your posts, keep it going.   

28 minutes ago, ROCKINGCM said:

This is a fantastic post Doc.  I have found a few gold rush era knives.   I really like your posts, keep it going.   

Thanks for your comment and words of encouragement Rockingham.I very much appreciate it.

Doc