Metal Detecting Waikiki Beaches

gmccool

Just returned from a few weeks detecting the Waikiki beaches! there was a noticible diffrence in the amounts of Detectorists than in the past few years! Every morning or evening there were a several beach hunters. Everyone that I spoke to were friendly espicially the local hunters. The beaches get preaty cleaned out and I have to say it was hard enough to find a cup of coffees worth of change due to everyone using credit cards. None the less I didnt get skunked, I managed to find a nice 19 gram 14 kt chain which made my trip worth while! Next year I am definatly going to try another island though, too many turists and not enough bling! LOL

thumbnail_IMG_4585.jpg

Now that's a heavy sucker! How did it sound / has it been "open" when you found it?

Hey Mr Sinclair,

Greetings from Heilbronn! LOL

I also have an Equinox 800. This time I was using my Coilteck 10x5in coil as I thought that the 11in Minelab coil would be too heavy. I hurt my sholder and am recouperating but I will be swinging the 11in coil real soon and I dont think I will take my 10x5in back to the beach its just too small. The clasp on the chain was broken and while it was not loud when I went back and fourth over it a few times it has a scratchy but it was a solid sound. It wasnt as solid as a ring or a coin. it sure looked great in my scoop!

I go to Hawaii every year for a couple of weeks and have been beach hunting for a very long time. I started Beach hunting when I visited Lloret de Mar Spain in the late 80s. I have some really great beach finds. 

I am also interested inRoman History and like to get out in the woods and fields here in Germany!

I was in the Army for over 20 years and have been retired for a while and I love Germany! 

On 12/15/2023 at 9:24 PM, gmccool said:

I will be swinging the 11in coil real soon and I dont think I will take my 10x5in back to the beach its just too small

I think the 11" is the best choice - I've sold the 15", just too heavy for my type of hunting. Got the 9" for the Deus 2 and it feels like a toy on big beaches 😄 But it has its benefits. Didn't use it much so far, it worked quite well on trash infested beach areas. 10x5 would be nice separation-wise - I'd probably ditch the 9" for it, if they make one some day.

On 12/19/2023 at 10:30 AM, Sinclair said:

I think the 11" is the best choice - I've sold the 15", just too heavy for my type of hunting. Got the 9" for the Deus 2 and it feels like a toy on big beaches 😄 But it has its benefits. Didn't use it much so far, it worked quite well on trash infested beach areas. 10x5 would be nice separation-wise - I'd probably ditch the 9" for it, if they make one some day.

I hope this goes straight to you and not the forum? You are absolutely correct, I wont bring my 10x5 to the beach any more unless my sholder hurts and I am in pain. I was hurting but I am feeling better now and sticking with the 11in Minelab coil! I was thinking about the 14in Coiltek coil but its almost 2lbs and I cant swing that! The 10x5in is great in the woods and in the thick brush and I would swear it close to being as deep as the 11in. I usually search for Roman coins in the woods and in the fields where the 11in works great. May I ask where you live here in Germany and are you an american by any chance? 

Anyway I wish you a mery christmar and a happy new year!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 1:59 AM, gmccool said:

Just returned from a few weeks detecting the Waikiki beaches! there was a noticible diffrence in the amounts of Detectorists than in the past few years! Every morning or evening there were a several beach hunters. Everyone that I spoke to were friendly espicially the local hunters. The beaches get preaty cleaned out and I have to say it was hard enough to find a cup of coffees worth of change due to everyone using credit cards. None the less I didnt get skunked, I managed to find a nice 19 gram 14 kt chain which made my trip worth while! Next year I am definatly going to try another island though, too many turists and not enough bling! LOL

thumbnail_IMG_4585.jpg

Nice find!  Where there a lot of people IN the water detecting?

I'll be heading to Waikiki in two weeks. It's cold here in Alaska and I need some sunshine. I'm hoping my Manticore will do well in the water. This will be my first water hunt with it.

John 🙂