Mixed Feelings On My New To Me ATX (problems Solved)

(Update..problems solved)

Here's why.

1. My vlf gold kruzer runs just as, or more stable in the same mineralized ground.

2. The closed DD coil is very knock sensitive.  I thought that problem was resolved with the newer closed coils

3. The atx will go haywire when just setting the coil on the ground. 

4. Had to run the sensitivity at 10 or lower to run smooth at all. 

My experience with PI machines is 2 hrs on the atx, and a ton of YouTube videos and reading articles and reviews... so I'm basically saying I don't know squat.

My detecting experience in whole...it's a new passion of mine in the last couple months. I go out whenever I get a chance. My main vlf is the nokta gold kruzer. Still learning it, with about 25 to 30 hrs behind it. I'm a research junkie. Lots of reading and 100s of hrs of videos. In other words, I don't know squat. 

I'm hoping someone with experience with the atx will chime in with advice, and let me know if this is normal, or if I need to consider returning this machine.

I appreciate any help, and or advice

• Like 1

I had an ATX a long time ago, for about 6 months.

Mine was knock sensitive also and after I sold it one possible cause came to mind.  The coil cable runs inside the shaft and maybe it moves around inside the hollow shaft when the coil hits an object.  On most detectors if the section of cable, that is close to the coil, moves through the magnetic field created by the coil then it will generate a false signal.  With hind sight I had wanted to do an experiment to secure the coil inside the shaft by inserting a length of solid foam core/tube (like a mini pool weeny, or foam water line insulation) inside the spiral coil winding to anchor it to the internal walls of the shaft so it could not move side to side.  I never got the chance to try this since I finally sold it.  I loved the electronics of the ATX but I grew to hate the package it was in and the awful ergonomics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ndplumr said:

The atx will go haywire when just setting the coil on the ground. 

No that is not normal in the slightest. And in my case I did not find the enclosed coils to be overly knock sensitive. Not immune to it, but I covered lots of miles with mine with no problem. In my opinion needs to be serviced or returned.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dutchman4 said:

I had an ATX a long time ago, for about 6 months.

Mine was knock sensitive also and after I sold it one possible cause came to mind.  The coil cable runs inside the shaft and maybe it moves around inside the hollow shaft when the coil hits an object.  On most detectors if the section of cable, that is close to the coil, moves through the magnetic field created by the coil then it will generate a false signal.  With hind sight I had wanted to do an experiment to secure the coil inside the shaft by inserting a length of solid foam core/tube (like a mini pool weeny, or foam water line insulation) inside the spiral coil winding to anchor it to the internal walls of the shaft so it could not move side to side.  I never got the chance to try this since I finally sold it.  I loved the electronics of the ATX but I grew to hate the package it was in and the awful ergonomics.

I really want this machine to work. I will be testing it more daily. I have an infinium coil coming tomorrow. If that runs better, then my guess would be this coil is faulty. It is VERY knock sensitive. If it slightly scrapes or touches anything, it sounds off

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

No that is not normal in the slightest. And in my case I did not find the enclosed coils to be overly knock sensitive. Not immune to it, but I covered lots of miles with mine with no problem. In my opinion needs to be serviced or returned.

Thanks Steve. I had read your reports on the atx, and the newer style coils. That is why my initial testing today made me think the coil is faulty.  It sounds off on the slightest touch to anything.  I'll be testing an infinium coil on it in the next couple days. If it does the same thing in multiple areas, then I'll assume it's the machine.  If it runs smooth,  I'll assume it's the coil.

Are you sure your coil cable is done up tight?, this is a common problem with the GPZ and aftermarket coils, people not screwing their coil cable up tight then complaining it's knock sensitive, they get instructed to do it up tight and problem solved.  Happens all the time to new owners.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Are you sure your coil cable is done up tight?, this is a common problem with the GPZ and aftermarket coils, people not screwing their coil cable up tight then complaining it's knock sensitive, they get instructed to do it up tight and problem solved.  Happens all the time to new owners.

Thanks for the pointer. I will double check my connection in the box. It's a very tight area for my fat fingers, so it's very possible I didn't get the connection tight enough.  

Why did you choose the ATX rather than the Axiom? 

If you are going to try out an Infinium coil with the ATX make sure there is zero cable movement relative to the coil. The slightest movement will make the coil noisy (as I found out. 101 stuff I know, 😬). After fixing that snafu if anything the Axiom was quieter than the closed ATX DD.

9 hours ago, Off Grid said:

Why did you choose the ATX rather than the Axiom?

If you are going to try out an Infinium coil with the ATX make sure there is zero cable movement relative to the coil. The slightest movement will make the coil noisy (as I found out. 101 stuff I know, 😬). After fixing that snafu if anything the Axiom was quieter than the closed ATX DD.

Main reason for choosing the atx is price. Next reason would be durability and compactness. The sdc 2300 would be even better, but it goes back to price. Thank you for your input and advice.