Detecting In The Rain.. Glad I Did

Early 19th Century USA silver coins don't come easily even East of the Mississippi, let alone West.  Your California Gold Rush hypothesis makes a lot of sense, even though there was (AFAIK) a lot of bartering even then, including trading raw gold for day-to-day provisions.  All three of your > 1 1/2 Century old finds are in excellent shape given they've been being worked on by weather and soil conditions for so long.

Your unknown item looks a lot like a mid-20th century bottle opener although it looks overbuilt for that task, and if the age fits with the other two I highly doubt it since I don't think crown caps came into existence until much later.  Certainly appears to be for some kind of task that involved leverage, but what?  Probably for an everyday activity in a stable, barn, kitchen, saloon, or part of the buildings trade.

Great finds!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Early 19th Century USA silver coins don't come easily even East of the Mississippi, let alone West.  Your California Gold Rush hypothesis makes a lot of sense, even though there was (AFAIK) a lot of bartering even then, including trading raw gold for day-to-day provisions.  All three of your > 1 1/2 Century old finds are in excellent shape given they've been being worked on by weather and soil conditions for so long.

Your unknown item looks a lot like a mid-20th century bottle opener although it looks overbuilt for that task, and if the age fits with the other two I highly doubt it since I don't think crown caps came into existence until much later.  Certainly appears to be for some kind of task that involved leverage, but what?  Probably for an everyday activity in a stable, barn, kitchen, saloon, or part of the buildings trade.

Great finds!

Very well said GBA...I appreciate your vast knowledge not only about coins in paticular but bottles and relics as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing condition on the coin. The branding iron is certainly unique & special. I think the other iron item is some sort of heavy duty strap adjuster. There should be some more interesting items at that site.

• Like 3