Nokta Double Score Or Legend?

Well, I just ordered the Double Score, saved 110 Euros, got a nice shovel... I figured performances will be similar, and less settings to contend with. Too bad for the ferrocheck. Metal detecting will not be my main hobby, and I have a few, so I don't really need to most feature rich machine.  The regular Score was out of the race for being too restricted...

My best wishes to you all for 2024 and lots of finds!

Gil.

• Like 6

On 12/30/2023 at 1:30 AM, gilgsn said:

Well, I just ordered the Double Score, saved 110 Euros, got a nice shovel... I figured performances will be similar, and less settings to contend with. Too bad for the ferrocheck. Metal detecting will not be my main hobby, and I have a few, so I don't really need to most feature rich machine.  The regular Score was out of the race for being too restricted...

My best wishes to you all for 2024 and lots of finds!

Gil.

I'm leaning Double score as well. I believe performance wise the Legend and Double score are similar. I currently own the Vanquish 540, it's a turn on and go, the Double Score has some nice features over my 540 without being overwhelming.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chuck M said:

I'm leaning Double score as well. I believe performance wise the Legend and Double score are similar. I currently own the Vanquish 540, it's a turn on and go, the Double Score has some nice features over my 540 without being overwhelming.

Chuck, that was my thinking... I didn't necessarily want all the settings. The ferrocheck would have been nice though.

Well, my first hunt at the beach wasn't very productive, as far as "keepers" are concerned. I found quite a bit of junk, including a pair of cutters and a fork, unfortunately not silver! Lots of bottle caps, with a VID of 34-35. Aluminium foil seems to be low 20s. In six hours I only found and kept a 2-Euro coin, two smaller (I think 10c) coins, an earring with little shiny stones (probably fake) and a fishing weight, which I will melt to make bullets 😉

The Double Score worked well. This being my first outing, there are things I did not expect... From a newbie's perspective, the VIDs and sound need some interpretation... After digging trash for a while, I started to understand, slightly, the difference between a false and real signal. Still a way to go. The only thing that bugged me is that my hearing not being what it used to be, with the waves nearby, I could barely hear the tone. So I ordered low-latency earbuds, a must for me.

I am also glad I did buy a pinpointer, albeit a cheap one, the latest Dr Otek, working great. I wasn't sure I would need one, but it saves so much time... The pouch I used is way too small given the amount of junk I collect, so I ordered a bigger one, even if it adds to the nerdy look, but at this point, why not go all-in! The sand scoop I got is heavy, what a pain! I ordered a carbon fibre tube to use as a handle, I hope it will help.

Anyways, I got six hours of physical activity, and it was somewhat fun. I say somewhat because I didn't find much, but it's probably because of the place I chose... There is also a certain amount of stress because in France, metal detecting is nearly prohibited. Theoretically you can only search for lost modern objects or for "depollution" purposes, with an explicit written authorisation of the owner of the field. You get away with it at the beach because, first here the sand beaches are artificial, so no archeological objects to find, and presumably, you're looking for stuff tourists lost... Anything else and you get charged with "plundering of the national heritage," they get a warrant for your house and you pay hefty fines if they find any object dating from before 1875. 

Not sure where I'll go next time. They are plenty of beaches around here, though many are rocks, not sand. I need to find authorisations from field owners who just happened to have lost a precious ring while on the tractor, happens all the time 😉

now I need a nap! Ya'll have a great wek-end 🙂

Gil.

Junk1.jpg

• Like 3

Gil,

When hunting for jewelry, it's inevitable to have to dig a hell of a lot of trash for every gold piece of jewelry. That's as true for a $200 detector, as it is for a $2000 detector.

Hunting for coins only is a different story though. You can use discrimination to mainly find coins, without digging much trash.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Gil,

When hunting for jewelry, it's inevitable to have to dig a hell of a lot of trash for every nice piece of jewelry. That's as true for a $200 detector, as it is for a $2000 detector.

Hunting for coins only is a different story though. You can use discrimination to mainly find coins, without digging much trash.

Hello, I understand, just haven't figured out all the numbers. At this point I find it better to dig everything. Maybe I'll keep doing so, i don't know. I just don't want to miss anything, or at least not much.

BTW I ran sensitivity at 7-8, Recovery speed 2, sometimes 3, beach mode of course, on F. That beach is very polluted. In some areas, I would have dug every few inches. No amount of tweaking changed anything. Interestingly, there is more to listening to the sound than I expected.

I wish Nokta increased the tones volume and decreased the pinpoint tone volume. No need to be heard the next town over when pinpointing! I dread hearing it with earbuds. Funny thing, when I sneezed, I got a VID of 45 🙄

It was a positive experience, and I am looking forward to more, on better grounds hopefully.

So here are my keepers for six hours of search:

Keepers010623.jpg

• Like 3

On a noisy beach, be it people, waves, or wind, headphones or earbuds are a must.

Regarding gold jewelry:

The trash to treasure ratio in the water, is far better than on the beach. Also, there is no such thing as listening to sound nuance when it comes to gold jewelry. Gold jewelry can sound just as crappy, or just as good as foil, pulltabs, and aluminum bottle caps. It's pretty much "dig all nonferrous tones" when hunting for gold jewelry.

Are you hunting salt or freshwater beaches? Also, is the sand more like fine gravel, or more like hourglass sand?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Digalicious said:

Are you hunting salt or freshwater beaches?

Hi, salt water. I saw a few videos mentioning that gold could mask as something else.. Surprising since gold is used in electronics for contacts. I thought it would ring even higher than silver, but no, apparently it starts at 11..

Gil.

1 hour ago, gilgsn said:

From a newbie's perspective, the VIDs and sound need some interpretation...

Yeah, I spent many hours digging trash and a only a few coins when I started detecting - location was modern schoolyard. Once I internalized the "good" VDIs abnd sounds, got my swing speed refined, and learned how to narrow in on a good target, my trash-to-keeper ratio declined massively.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gilgsn said:

Hi, salt water. I saw a few videos mentioning that gold could mask as something else.. Surprising since gold is used in electronics for contacts. I thought it would ring even higher than silver, but no, apparently it starts at 11..

Gil.

That's because the size of the object (signal strength), not just conductivity, affects the ID. For example, a tiny gold ring can ID at 11 (like small foil), and a large gold ring can ID in the higher conductor coin range. 

• Like 1