In All The Years Of Digging There Is One Thing I Have Never Found In My Dig Hole.

I'm not one to get hung up on "absolutes".

Out of ground tests are not all bogus, nor are they righteous.  Test gardens are not all bogus, nor are they righteous.

Some tests have merit, others are not applicable to real world.

"Train as you fight" is understandable, but shooting at paper targets on a range is also a bit different from real world.

Some of the stuff Monte came up with on his nail board test really helped detectorists understand recovery speed and masking on a 2D plane. 

Like many of you I do disregard the tests where shill's have a preconceived conclusion and then set up very specific tests to make themselves look smart, or make a product appear to be something it's not.

Confirmation bias is very obvious to people that are solely looking for impartial information.

I think Iffy's test videos are legitimate for what they are, tests. They give information that is useful TO BE APPLIED to actual hunting. I also think he is objective & without real bias, unlike some other loud voices on You tube.  I cannot think of one top end detector that has come out the past 5+ years that did not "need" some updating to become better optimized for real world performance. I'm glad manufacturers pay attention to the feedback and try to implement improvements.  I have 10 different detectors. None are the best at every task or site. Each can do something enough different than any of the rest to be useful to me.  They are not the same. I'm glad they are not. That is part of the reason I stay interested in learning & becoming a better operator.

On 1/3/2024 at 7:48 AM, Digalicious said:

Above ground unmasking / separation tests just make it easier for the tester, and more transparent for the viewer.

In such above ground comparison tests, if a detector can't hit a coin sitting beside a nail, it isn't going to be able to hit in the ground.

When did you first start detecting?Have you set up similiar test parameters? What are your results? Thaks.