In All The Years Of Digging There Is One Thing I Have Never Found In My Dig Hole.

An elevated blockĀ of wood next to a coin with nails all around. Somebody please tell me what I don't understand!šŸ™ƒ

As we always did in my previous life,ā€Train as you Fight.ā€ Ā That block of wood next to a coin with nails all around is not the way Iā€™ve ever found any area I detectedā€¦.true! Ā šŸ˜Š

2 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

An elevated blockĀ of wood next to a coin with nails all around

I found several square nails, tip of an old drill steel and a 10 inch iron spike today but there werenā€™t no coins at any elevation.Ā 

2 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

tell me what I don't understand

Sorry sheā€™s busy.

You sir just have not been to a bank that just burned down to start the recovery process.

Good luck and I don't want to hear that you got in trouble setting fires to banks.

1 hour ago, Valens Legacy said:

You sir just have not been to a bank that just burned down to start the recovery process.

Good luck and I don't want to hear that you got in trouble setting fires to banks.

Never. Why may you ask? Because all my "Bunkoh" is in the bank. Bunkoh. That sounds old school to me.

. I do not intend to offend these folks who do this. The companies they test for do not seem to mind. I have been asked back in the day to test several companies' offerings. Never once did it occur to me to try this. I live near Culpeper Virginia with some of the worst soil you can find. Virginia also has saltwater beaches and low mineral soil east of Interstate 95. I guess I was more interested in which detectors won the "Triple Crown".šŸ™ƒ

9 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

As we always did in my previous life,ā€Train as you Fight.ā€ Ā That block of wood next to a coin with nails all around is not the way Iā€™ve ever found any area I detectedā€¦.true! Ā šŸ˜Š

A true statement for sure. Keep digging ColonelDan. Private Kinsey.

8 hours ago, HardPack said:

I found several square nails, tip of an old drill steel and a 10 inch iron spike today but there werenā€™t no coins at any elevation.Ā 

Sorry sheā€™s busy.

I lost my wife after 41 years of marriage. Found her later in the shoe department at Bloomingdales.šŸ˜‚

Above ground unmasking / separation tests just make it easier for the tester, and more transparent for the viewer.

In such above ground comparison tests, if a detector can't hit a coin sitting beside a nail, it isn't going to be able to hit in the ground.

Ā 

2 hours ago, Digalicious said:

Above ground unmasking / separation tests just make it easier for the tester, and more transparent for the viewer.

I buried a few modern coins adjacent to offset rusted square nails at 4, 6 & 8 inches. Close iron will definitely pull down the TID. A good control test that gives an idea what to look & listen for in the field. Did notice on a SMF detector that while adjusting the iron filter higher a nickel signal will begin to clip. Works as an IF adjustment gauge of sorts.