Newbie From Australia

grumpy

g'day to  everyone from queensland in aus

i am usually a panner but about 14 months ago i bought my first detector ,a nokta gold kruzer to compliment my creek and river work, what a top little machine it turned out to be 

but sometimes it was left wanting in some of the highly mineralised soils here, so after some chatting with a top detector operator mate  he advised me to get a gpx5000 

so a brand new machine landed here in june last year

now i have that headache of working the twists and turns on how to use the machine ,i am not very well educated with the electronics world ,i may struggle here and there but with the right push from the right people i am sure i will get there

so looking forward to reading posts and also adding to the forum when i can

cheers all

grumpy

Welcome Grumpy, good to have you here.

You can use the little search box in the top right corner of the forum to find out plenty of stuff on the GPX 5000, also search for other models such as the 4500 too, as they're so similar and information between models can be shared.  Also, there is the Minelab section of the forum where you're more than welcome to ask any questions you have on it.  Plenty of people can help with just about anything.

Understanding the timings I found the most important thing.

Welcome aboard grumpy ! 

The brothers of the GPX crew here have all the info you seek.. You'll get up to speed on the 5000 , no problemo.

Phrunt linked a good clue vid above  .     

"You have questions , we have answers. " was the Radio Shack motto but I could easily ask questions they had no clue on and they sure sold crap detectors 🙄 and yes , it was my first one ! 🤩 a Discovery 2 .discontinued ~50 years ago . with good reason. I still have it and it goes beep  , but nothing else works except the on/off switch.

Real answers from real experts here real free clues included.🥸.  

My best friend is a grumpy too.  He has 6 yo twin grandkids ,and  they just figured out why they've been calling him grumpy 🤔 ...LOL

thanks for the welcome phrunt

a mate on another forum pushed me towards the 5000 i was looking at a used 4800

he has had detectors since way back in the dark ages ,and said once i work out how to use it i will not be disappointed 

the problem is the distance to the gold fields from where i live to have a play is a challenge 

4 to 5 hour drive south one way or a 9 to 10 hour drive north one way ,so it wont be a quick trip 

i have fig tree camp 1and 1/2 hours drive west one way ,which i have visited once with the 500020230905_084423.thumb.jpg.df9d86c9fb59d680447244e56ac60f70.jpg

i am not quite sure if the 5000 is the go on mullock heaps like this but my dogy hips and back sure did not like it

but gold gods were not with me that day but the 16"x7/8" bolt gods sat on my shoulder all day ,lucky me got three of them for the day 🤣 with the deepest at about 2 foot , the 5000 did not miss them 

with the first one i thought ,here's my retirement stone but it was not to be the case 😞 or well another day

thanks for the welcome rvpopeye

i am sure i will get there one day ,wash rinse repeat as they say 

i have been called grumpy since i was 3 years old

my family found out early that it was not a good idea to poke the bear 😊

their actions always caused a reaction and quite often they did not like the reaction so hence forth you are now grumpy🤣

i bought a garrett at pro international when they arrived here years ago

i was disappointed with it ,i had a 1.4 gram nugget and it would be as quiet as a church mouse so i sent it back to them 

i got it back about 4 weeks later with the all good to go report ,same s@#t different day could not get it to pick up gold at all

so i said well if that's metal detecting they can have it, hung it on the wall of the shed and it is still there today

i am going to donate it to my sisters grand daughter for relic hunting

• The title was changed to Newbie From Australia

Welcome from East Texas.

Welcome Grumpy!

Don't get discouraged with the 5000! Plenty of people on here to set you up right! Feel free to ask plenty of questions, but many can be found on past posts! But like any detector, especially PI's, it's gonna take a bit to get the hang of! Keep at it!🍀👍👍

Grumpy

Probably just needed adjusting of something like ground balance ?🤔

Good move with the gift to the grand niece !  👍

Detecting buddies can be hard to find... especially ones that are young and can help dig .

a mate had one also rvpopeye that's why i bought it ,the machine he had picked up the nugget no worries 

no matter what we done with the one i bought it just didn't want to play ball so it became a wall ornament and i went back to my pans and sluice  

grumpy

That is some rugged dirt in your photo.. My hips hurt just looking at it !  And I bet the 5000 wasn't fun on those slopes !  

Hope the kid has better luck with that Garrett on relics. 

A pan and sluice probably worked better on the small stuff anyway... 

🖖   live long and prospect