Should I Get Started With This Hobby?

On 2/12/2024 at 10:06 PM, streak said:

As often happens I was researching something else and stumbled upon metal detecting.

I have a lot of hobbies and spend many hours researching before buying any gear. I have already done the detector research but the bigger question is is it worth getting involved at all??

I live in San Diego and have easy daily access to the various beaches which would be my hunting grounds. I am an open water swimmer and surf salt water fly fisherman and have seen folks detecting from time to time but not very often. I have watched many videos and read a huge numbers of posts on various forums and understand that most of the time one finds junk and coins but now and again a nice piece of jewelry shows up.

How over done is the hobby? Is it worth getting involved in 2024 as opposed to many years ago when the pickings were probably much richer?

Is there a lot of stuff missed by folks using older detectors that may get picked up if I got say a Deus II with it's great beach performance?

Go on, talk me in or out of getting involved!!

Thanks in advance!

get a vanquish 340 only 200.00 super easy detector finds good stuff and wont break the bank

My tongue-in-cheek replay would be, "heck no, stay home so we can find more". lol

Go with your gut on this one, only you know what your likes and dislikes are, but for me, dreaming of finding more gold and treasures keeps me addicted to, at least, having a machine I trust, a DD coil that will help me find the right target, kit to supplement my hobby and who's to say I can't also enjoy other things, like photography, while I'm out there.

I find it fun to research and learn, not so much to collect the latest gear, but to learn my existing gear well and get better at it year after year. As many here have already said, it's "getting out there" that counts. With an attitude like that, it's hard to go wrong, I'd bet my bottom dollar on it.

Happy Targets!

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome from another surf saltwater fly guy.  And yes, it’s worth it. Hit the beach with fly rod and metal detector. 😉