Update Equinox

I wonder if Minelab could make an update for the Equinox that would make the Vanquish coils compatible with the Equinox.  If it could be done, it would be a masterstroke that would surely bring them more benefits.  I myself would buy a vanquish just for the coils

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Uptate Equinox

I don't believe it's just a software issue! I believe the chips in the coils are also different, and not compatible!🍀👍👍

Yes, X-terra pro can't use Vanquish coils either, yet it can use Nox coils, they put an incompatible chip in the Vanquish, at the time the X-terra likely hadn't been dreamed up and they had no intentions of making coils interchangeable between any detectors, not good for their bottom line that we can use coils between detectors, yet for the X-terra they wanted to control the market so gave it Nox coil support for a bit of a boost.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

The connectors are also completely different between the Nox and Vanquish coils.

I forgot the obvious 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No square peg in a round hole?? Fits with a hammer, but functionality NOT garrenteed!!🍀👍👍

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Luis said:

don't know why I assumed they had the same connection 🤦

Because with most any other detector company, that assumption would be generally correct, and make sense! Not so with ML and their chipped coils! At least they figured that out for the 700 and 900, so I will give them some credit! 👍👍

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Update Equinox

I saw on YT how someone removed the chip from the Vanquish coil, modified the chip and connected the coil to the Equinox...
coil worked..
  Then I was even so interested that I bought another small V8 coil for the Vanquih... for a similar modification...

In the end, I did not proceed with the modification of this coil... because I had other priorities...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of us don't have the skills, or desire to modify coils! Especially if under warranty and/or waterproof! But yeah, I heard about that too!

Point is we shouldn't have to modify anything these days, except for an occasional software download, maybe  a shaft change, etc.. ML could have altered their coil design for the Nox line, or offered to give some software updates to the Nox if customers were adamant about something! At least while under warranty, if not for as long as an owner had one!

One thing that always bugged me was the low volume with headphones! Not near loud enough at the beach, especially low tones! (Could be my hearing also) I say make all your detectors loud, and let the customer be able to adjust as needed! Maybe they fixed that on the 7 and 9 hundred; don't know! But it could have been done on the 6 and 8 also via an update!👍👍