1st Time Detecting Blind "no Control Box"

Dcraun

Yesterday was my 1st time detecting without the control box. I was on a very wet Virginia farm field so I went with program 1 general. Disc 6.4, 3 tone, tone break at 68, high square and notch 07-40.  I found it very enjoyable to just focus on the tone and not worry about VDI numbers. This was a fairly clean field and I'm not ready to go blind in a trashy one yet. Finds include a 1860 IHC , carved bullet, 69 caliber bullet, and various other bullets and melted lead.

20240224_144720.jpg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dcraun said:

Yesterday was my 1st time detecting without the control box. I was on a very wet Virginia farm field so I went with program 1 general. Disc 6.4, 3 tone, tone break at 68, high square and notch 07-40.  I found it very enjoyable to just focus on the tone and not worry about VDI numbers. This was a fairly clean field and I'm not ready to go blind in a trashy one yet. Finds include a 1860 IHC , carved bullet, 69 caliber bullet, and various other bullets and melted lead.

20240224_144720.jpg

I do the same thing sometimes and it really does make you concentrate on the sound of the tones.  With that said, the VDI numbers are another tool in the toolbox of clues to help decipher what’s in the ground.  Although guys like Paystreak only use tones all the time, I feel he’s not taking full advantage of all the clues the detector is giving him by not looking at the numbers.  

• Like 3

8000 hours with D1 and D2, never looked at vdi numbers.

Xp's are audio machines only, to me.

p.s.

This is ancient Xp Goldmaxx Power, DNA donor for D1 and D2:

-audio only

-discriminate only iron range

-no notch

xpgmp.png.13979e9b1b2978d22f9ffe80edace655.png

• Like 2

The same thing for me , I have a D2 WS6 master then no screen on the shaft . I just rely on the audio ,  I dont need accurate VDIs as all targets conductivities can be good targets over here , even very low conds . 

I use 5 tones which provides a good audio info of the target conductivity , at least for me . I dont need more ... 

And no control box on the shaft means a lighter machine , an other plus ...

I know very well the XP Goldmaxx btw , I have used one between 2007 and 2012. It was a best seller at this time in Europe and it allowed XP to develop the new wireless technology with the Deus which was released in 2010 ..

• Like 1