Would like to hear people's experiences with the larger coil on the gb2. I currently just have the 6" coil, and have considered adding the 10" for more coverage in some areas. Is it worth it?

I wouldn't bother, the GB2's primary benefit is tiny gold, losing some of that by putting on the bigger coil just doesn't seem right to me.  The small gold is what makes the GB2 what it is.  My GB2 came with the bigger coil, outside of testing it out I haven't seen a reason to use it.

To me the bigger coil is about as useful as this 1960's seatbelt.

1960sseatbelt.thumb.jpg.d3ccdc149868eda7c0fdf36aa800702e.jpg

Stick with your little Concentric, it's the bee's knees on the GB2.  Use your Gold Kruzer if you want ground coverage, the GB2 can be annoying covering ground anyway having to maintain ground balance manually with knobs for best results.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Your opinions make sense and also save me money. Win win for me 😁

• Like 2

Here’s the comparison chart for GB2 coils. If you only have the one detector, then maybe a large coil for getting more depth on larger deeper pieces. But if you have a lower frequency detector also then no need to get a coil that another detector will get the deeper targets on already. The GB2 is really a small gold detector for most situations, but not all.

7C190B25-A970-4FE3-ACE7-C09F27C55199.jpeg

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

Here’s the comparison chart for GB2 coils. If you only have the one detector, then maybe a large coil for getting more depth on larger deeper pieces. But if you have a lower frequency detector also then no need to get a coil that another detector will get the deeper targets on already. The GB2 is really a small gold detector for most situations, but not all.

7C190B25-A970-4FE3-ACE7-C09F27C55199.jpeg

That chart certainly shows the 10" coil dominates in a broader range,  but the 6.5 definitely dominates in the size gold the gb2 is meant for.  If it was my only detector,  I would run a 10", but I  have actually acquired several that cover most situations for gold. I'm becoming as bad with Detectors as I am with guns 😆

• Like 2

Of course the 10" has its place as does the 14” coil. It just depends on the ground mineralization and the miles to be covered. Try covering 5 miles in a day with a 6” coil looking for large gold. Use the right tool for the job at hand, and that chart is a good guide as to what to use depending on what you are looking for. You really want to give up 40% of your depth on 1 ounce nuggets using a 6” coil when you should be running a 14”? And before anyone says they would be running a PI if they were looking for 1 ounce nuggets - that was not the question. The question is how to get the best use out of a Gold Bug 2, and fact is all the coils have a time and place. The Gold Bug 2 only finds small gold kind of like the GPX 6000 only finds small gold. :smile:

Is the 10" worth it depends on the ground you are going to hunt and nothing else. If you are looking to cover some ground and there is any chance at all of 1 gram or larger nuggets, than absolutely, yes, I'd be running the 10" coil. Or larger......

Steve with 4.95 ounce nugget found with GB2 14"
2001-steve-herschbach-ganes-creek-alaska-5-ounce-gold-nugget.jpg

Steve with 14 dwt nugget
2001-steve-herschbach-ganes-creek-alaska-2001-fisher-gold-bug-2-14-dwt-gold-nugget.jpg

Another nugget
2002-gold-bug-2-gold-nugget-ganes-creek-alaska.jpg

Jeff Reed using Gold Bug 2 14" at Ganes Creek
2002-jeff-reed-ganes-creek-alaska.jpg

John Pulling with gold found at Ganes Creek
2002-john-pulling-ganes-creek-alaska.jpg

Steve with "Bulldog Nugget"
2002-steve-herschbach-ganes-creek-alaska-bulldog-nugget.jpg

Steve with 3 ounce specimen
2002-steve-herschbach-3-ounce-nugget-ganes-creek-alaska.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I found over a pound of gold in three days running a Gold Bug 2 with a 14" coil. I did it by running in disc mode exclusively and covering ground fast swinging like a demon. The absolute epitome of cherry picking the ground and it worked. There are still places in Alaska at least where such a strategy would pay off though I have to admit these days it would be an Equinox 800 with 15"x12" coil as my weapon of choice.

steve-herschbach-shows-off-ganes-creek-gold.jpg
Steve shows off gold found at Ganes Creek over Memorial Day weekend

14-ounces-gold-ganes-creek-alaska-steve-herschbach.jpg
Close up of the gold nuggets and specimens from Ganes Creek

• Like 5
  • Oh my! 1

Those are some very impressive finds! I doubt you were able to get that smile off of your face for months. Thanks for sharing that.

• Like 1

That's more what I was getting at, the biggest flaw with it is it's extremely slow recovery, hot rock and gold under the coil at once, all you hear is the hot rock, the bigger the coil the worse this problem becomes.

It's an outstanding small gold detector and really there is no better coil yet than it's little concentric on any VLF for a tiny gold coil, absolutely love that coi.

He also already has a 10x5 on another machine.