An Odd Mixture Of Items And Help Requested From Civil War Ammunition Buffs

I went out to a “new to me site” over the weekend and found a bit of an eclectic mixture of items.  All these years of hunting and I have never found a silver quarter outside of a seeded hunt.  So I am very pleased with the 47 Washington.  This place apparently gets brush hogged occasionally and some of the items show it.  The chewed-up Fangburger token is from Burger Chef restaurants perhaps around the 1970s.  I would guess the fly fishing reel and the tape measure are more recent. The tootsie toy wrecker may date from pre-World War II.  No idea about the screwdriver handle other than it is aluminum.  The penny is a 1919 S.  Had my heart skip a beat before I gently cleaned around the date because it looked like a 1909S… 😕

However, the two items I am most interested in are the dome shaped thing and the piece I first mistook for pipe and dropped in my “Possibly not trash” pouch.  This item appears to be lead inside a brass sheath.  The lead appears to have rings on it like a Civil War bullet. The site is along General Morgan’s trail from the Civil War (with union troops on his tail).  I know most of the Civil War bullets did not have metal casings but I understand Spencer and Henry rifles did.  This appears to be half inch in diameter and what’s left of it is about 3/4 inch long.  Could this be a remnant of a Civil War bullet still in the casing?  Does anyone know what the spacing between the rings should be if this is Civil War era?

The other item which has aroused my curiosity is the brass dome shaped thing.  It’s a little bent out of whack, but it’s about 2 inches in diameter or a little under and about 1.5 inches tall. There are slits irregularly spaced in the base.  Some of them are a little ragged which makes me think it just broke. Others seem to be relatively straight.  The base has a small flange like the dome was made to fit over the top of something.  This makes sense, as there is iron rust (magnetic) attached to the base.  I am guessing maybe some sort of hubcap cover, but the thought dancing around the back of my head is could this be the nose piece of an artillery round?  Would any Civil War artillery have a brass sheath over the nose?  Would any Civil War artillery shell even be shaped that way?  Any help from Civil War munitions buffs would be greatly appreciated for either of these items.

Thank you in advance!

F2CB58F0-5AD6-4129-B604-2BCA4235F354.jpeg

5110F331-A12E-4F0D-AA61-E4BB32C44DA9.jpeg

D4724EC4-E22C-4900-81E2-89CE216B957F.jpeg

Nice bunch of finds!   I think the reel is actually a baitcasting reel.  And I think the screwdriver handle is a valve stem cover from a model T or A.  

Nice hunt Ghound!

NC is right about the valve stem cover, I found about 20 of them on the landing near my house, then found a Model T in the woods 🤣 my avatar is a hubcap.

Hard to be sure, but at first glance your bullet shell looks like a .45/70.

The Tootsie truck is cool! Bet there's a lot more stuff there for you to find. 👍 

I'd say the cone is probably a hubcap of some sort.

Interesting assortment of finds for sure.

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

Nice bunch of finds!   I think the reel is actually a baitcasting reel.  And I think the screwdriver handle is a valve stem cover from a model T or A.  

Thanks! That’s certainly more interesting than a screwdriver handle!  Looks like the kind with the hex head like I found was for the wire wheels.

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Nice hunt Ghound!

NC is right about the valve stem cover, I found about 20 of them on the landing near my house, then found a Model T in the woods 🤣 my avatar is a hubcap.

Hard to be sure, but at first glance your bullet shell looks like a .45/70.

The Tootsie truck is cool! Bet there's a lot more stuff there for you to find. 👍 

I'd say the cone is probably a hubcap of some sort.

I’ve only scratched the surface here. I slowed down where I started identifying abundant iron and searched around the periphery of those areas, but just basically scouted around the area.
Were you referring to the smaller shell casing or the larger one with the possible bullet in the casing?

Nice bunch of finds from that hunt, the old fishing reel may still have the manufacture's name on it. The reel looks like an old Shakespeare style, one of their first in the casting line. Try to clean it up and get the brand name on it as they are collectable.

Good luck on your next outing.

7 hours ago, Geologyhound said:

Were you referring to the smaller shell casing or the larger one with the possible bullet in the casing?

The middle rightmost item one the top photo. 🤔 

If you haven't already, and are using the D2, you should try Tekkna at this site. 🙂

18 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice bunch of finds from that hunt, the old fishing reel may still have the manufacture's name on it. The reel looks like an old Shakespeare style, one of their first in the casting line. Try to clean it up and get the brand name on it as they are collectable.

Good luck on your next outing.

I took another look at the reel and realized there was a partial letter showing through one of my test cleaning spots.  So I cleaned it up a bit (thank you Andres crayons). It says Pennell Reel Co. Phila.  I was able to find an identical one on the Internet.

Thanks and hope you find something great on your next outing too!

C350801E-3AB7-41C9-9427-C24A33E95279.jpeg

6FFCFA7E-264C-45CB-B7CE-87FCF7341A20.png