Mi6 Question

Is there a reason that XP made the end cap with a hollow cavity?  Unless I’m missing something, I just don’t see any reason to this as it collects mud and debris.  IMG_4535.thumb.jpeg.6e6ed67570c630c65737b0778f88cdfa.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NCtoad said:

Is there a reason that XP made the end cap with a hollow cavity?  Unless I’m missing something, I just don’t see any reason to this as it collects mud and debris.  IMG_4535.thumb.jpeg.6e6ed67570c630c65737b0778f88cdfa.jpeg

I'd like to know the answer to this too, and would like to know as well why I have to loosen it with pliers when I want to recharge it no matter how much I grease it up. 🫤Otherwise it's the best pinpointer I own.

• Like 2

You could epoxy a rare earth super magnet in the recess.   I keep a square of rubberized shelf liner with my spare battery for the Garrett carrot. It can be hard to remove the cap also.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JCR said:

You could epoxy a rare earth super magnet in the recess.   I keep a square of rubberized shelf liner with my spare battery for the Garrett carrot. It can be hard to remove the cap also.

I think Paystreak has a battery glued in there.  I don’t think I want to do that, but that is an option.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I'd like to know the answer to this too, and would like to know as well why I have to loosen it with pliers when I want to recharge it no matter how much I grease it up. 🫤Otherwise it's the best pinpointer I own.

That's funny I thought I was the only one who had this issue. I twist it on gently, then go back a few weeks later and it won't budge! Then I break out a pipe wrench and cringe as I force it open. 

Great pointer though. 🙂

• Like 1

I used a bulletin board magnet i bought at Walmart it snaps in and you can remove it, helps find small nails and iron  bits just reverse your pinpointer. 30 Magnets in a box the 6 large ones are just the right size. about $5.

• Like 3

The only reason I can think that they made it the way they did is that the red disc acts as some kind of resonator to amplify/transmit the sound more.  I thought Paystreak had a magnet epoxied into his.  The thread on the cap is easy to damage, but so far after 18 months I've not spoiled mine yet.

• Like 1

I don't know if I'd want a powerful magnet that close to the electronics.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phrunt said:

I don't know if I'd want a powerful magnet that close to the electronics.

I was a little concerned that it might effect the battery life on my Garrett carrot but it has not that I can tell.  It has proven to be a very handy modification.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKD2User said:

The only reason I can think that they made it the way they did is that the red disc acts as some kind of resonator to amplify/transmit the sound more.  I thought Paystreak had a magnet epoxied into his.  The thread on the cap is easy to damage, but so far after 18 months I've not spoiled mine yet.

Hmmm, I remember watching a video of his where he modifies the mi6 to be louder.  He said the volume was too low.  Maybe you’re onto something with the red disc.