GPX Coils, 15x12 DD Commander Vs The Detech 15 Ultimate Spiral DD

Usually you just consider the width as your coil size in comparison to other coils. I've never noticed any better depth of a 9" coil vs say a 9x14" coil. Maybe others see a difference in milder soil but in my more mineralized soil I don't see any depth increase.

• 2 weeks later...

On 3/26/2024 at 9:49 AM, abenson said:

I've had the 12.5 Detech DD as well and really liked it. Only reason I bought it was because my 14" Coiltek went belly up at a DIV event and the 12.5 DD was the closest thing Fort Bedford metal detectors had available. In all reality the bigger coils including the 15" spiral DD are within a few inches of each other on a bullet. People might say otherwise, but have they actually buried bullets side by side at different depths? I have and can tell you they're not that much different in depth. But you know what they say, miss it by an inch might as well be a mile. IMO the most important thing is to use a coil you can swing comfortably for hours at a time. It's no fun when your back and arm are killing you, at point your head is out of the game and you're missing stuff.

How’s the discrimination depth on the 14 coiltek? Similar to the 15x12 commander and the Ultimate spiral? And does your friend still have the ultimate spiral for sale?

Disc depth on those big coils are 6 to 8" max. Yes he still has the coil. As seen in the last Pic the cable support is broken but it works fine.

IMG_5936.jpg.086f187d6cf7f02b8f8806eed2f5ace7.jpgIMG_6224.jpg.7841f5db3f0a2b1b952f4eb2b195acfa.jpgIMG_6223.jpg.3dfdaa1d3228beeed9acf531f093d749.jpg

1 hour ago, abenson said:

Disc depth on those big coils are 6 to 8" max. Yes he still has the coil. As seen in the last Pic the cable support is broken but it works fine.

IMG_5936.jpg.086f187d6cf7f02b8f8806eed2f5ace7.jpgIMG_6224.jpg.7841f5db3f0a2b1b952f4eb2b195acfa.jpgIMG_6223.jpg.3dfdaa1d3228beeed9acf531f093d749.jpg

Thanks for sending those. It seems to be in good shape other than the  cable support. I could fix that. Let me do some thinking overnight. I’ll get back to you tomorrow. What went bad on your coiltek 14?

On 3/26/2024 at 7:13 AM, Tyler said:

That’s what I kind of figured about the 15 spiral. Really sensitive on the small bits. I almost bought a coiltek 14 DD before I got the commander. I wish I had now. I bet that thing punches deep on bullets and buttons. I was looking for a 12.5 DD detech as well but couldn’t find one. I should have spent the few extra dollars on the coiltek. Do you think it’s a good bit deeper than the commander? But I’ll let you know if I’m interested In the detech 15 spiral. Thanks for letting me know. 

I just Googled detect coils and a 12.5" DD popped right up.  I'll try and message you the link. Not sure if I can post it here or not.

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

Thanks for sending those. It seems to be in good shape other than the  cable support. I could fix that. Let me do some thinking overnight. I’ll get back to you tomorrow. What went bad on your coiltek 14?

Coiltek 14" had a broken winding inside the coil when I tore it appart.

13 hours ago, abenson said:

Coiltek 14" had a broken winding inside the coil when I tore it appart.

Had you had the 14 Coiltek for awhile? I was wondering about their durability?

Been swinging the GPX since it hit the market for CW relics and find that a 15" coil is perfect for the CW smalls and the CW bigs no matter if its made by Detech, Coiltek, or Minelab. Personally I've used all 3, including the Detech Spiral, but  prefer the 15" Commander DD, it continues to amaze me. I use the 18" Commander at times as well for specific hunts.

4 hours ago, Tyler said:

Had you had the 14 Coiltek for awhile? I was wondering about their durability?

I thinkni had it about 4 years with 100's of hours on it.

On 4/6/2024 at 2:19 PM, Fredneck said:

Been swinging the GPX since it hit the market for CW relics and find that a 15" coil is perfect for the CW smalls and the CW bigs no matter if its made by Detech, Coiltek, or Minelab. Personally I've used all 3, including the Detech Spiral, but  prefer the 15" Commander DD, it continues to amaze me. I use the 18" Commander at times as well for specific hunts.

Thanks for the info. I currently have the 15x12 commander DD. I’ve only had the GPX for about a year and only used it a few times because life’s been busy with kids and work. I’ve got a mix of spots about half in good ground with a few hot spots and the other half is either red hot or moderate. I’ve been using the equinox in my spots in good ground and doing pretty well with it. I hit a spot not long ago that I had gone over many times with a VLF on a moderately hot ridge and got several pistol bullets and a couple eagle buttons I had missed. Is it worth taking the GPX in good ground camps I’ve hit hard already with VLFs or mainly hot ground places?