Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Manticore On Low Tide

I see no bottle caps this time...thats an improvement 🙂 the gold will show up soon! 

strick

• Thanks 1

More stuff will appear once the weather opens up and we get some actual sunshine at the beach. The central coast has been locked in a seemingly endless cycle of fog and heavy mist. I'm well aware of June gloom but this cycle began in early May and hasn't let up yet. Yesterday morning in Ventura looked like it had just rained. I still see women walking on the beach with their Patagonia puffers on. We just need some sun and that will bring out the sunscreen and then there will be stuff to find. Pray for Sun!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, strick said:

I see no bottle caps this time...thats an improvement 🙂 the gold will show up soon! 

strick

No bottle caps was the result of the location and not me cherry picking.

• Like 1

Do your sites get overrun with the beach cleaner tractors?  We didn't have these until fairly recently, I'm left wondering if they are a factor.  I do however find occasional good targets where they make their 180 degree turns....

14 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I see my post for Manticore Is Really A Different Beast post is gone.  

Must have been a casualty of the required roll-back of the database.

I love finding stuff like you have pictured here. That's a good hunt to me if you score jewelry, junk or not. The chain may be good. You haven't acid tested it? I scooped a nice small gold colored ring Thursday with no markings and no corrosion. Held up to 14kt acid. I needed watch batteries so I took it with me to my jeweler.....yup...14kt. 💪 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Skate said:

I still see women walking on the beach with their Patagonia puffers on.

Ok....I had to google that. Had no idea. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bklein said:

Do your sites get overrun with the beach cleaner tractors?  We didn't have these until fairly recently, I'm left wondering if they are a factor.  I do however find occasional good targets where they make their 180 degree turns....

There have always be 'rakers' on the California beaches since I've been here.  They get clogged with stuff and really just level the surface.  They go around and shake out in an area and leave rows/piles which are then cleaned by the sifters that take out the big stuff.

When I first got my 800 I went to the piles before they were sifted and I found a chain because of the response.  I tried to duplicate later and found it ineffective.  I think if you have a chance to separate a pile and run over it then you could find some goodies.  I know employees back from a few years ago would sort the beach trash and keep some good stuff.  The same thing happens with employees for the Dept of Public works who work on sewers and drains.  They run down and sell what they find.  Wedding ring ... no problem.

The rakers don't get it all.  I've gone back behind them and find recent drops.

The area of this hunt would never have a rake or sifter.  It is under water every day.

I had a hunt today on a low tide and found a little coin patch.  Before I got there I found a cheap (nice looking) bracelet.  Then I found one of the most unusual things I've ever found on the beach.  These are some clamps that look like hemostats.

IMG_20240609_193100_1701.thumb.jpg.13c24acd92c436a8112408834c46976e.jpg

• Like 3