I Just Watched The Vortex Release, Glad XP Doesn't Charge It's Customers To Unlock Features

Can you imagine buying a metal detector that is severely handicapped from the factory and then having to pay to unlock features like beach mode and even wireless headphones! 

Don't believe Garrett's spin. This could lead to microtransactions and is bad for the entire community. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dcraun said:

Can you imagine buying a metal detector that is severely handicapped from the factory and then having to pay to unlock features like beach mode and even wireless headphones! 

Don't believe Garrett's spin. This could lead to microtransactions and is bad for the entire community. 

Personally, I wish that XP would have done this with the ORX. I would happily pay $50 to $100 to just have a few more audio choices on the ORX like full tones and an iron volume level adjustment and to have the 0 to -6.4 iron range extension for the two coin modes.

• Like 6

• The title was changed to I Just Watched The Vortex Release, Glad XP Doesn't charge it's Customers To Unlock Features
  • The title was changed to I Just Watched The Vortex Release, Glad XP Doesn't Charge It's Customers To Unlock Features
23 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Personally, I wish that XP would have done this with the ORX.

They have the option now. For about 500, you can upgrade to a D2.

Just now, IBMe said:

They have the option now. For about 500, you can upgrade to a D2.

That option is not for a software update which turns on features that can be activated for a fee.

I already own a Deus 2. I would just like to have a few more features on my ORX and would be happy to pay a reasonable fee.

The option you are referring to actually ditches your Deus 1 or ORX controllers and coils. All you keep is the shaft system and you pay basically full price for a WS6 as master puck, back phones, audio jack pc board, neoprene shaft mount for the WS6 and a 9" coil with shaft.

Two totally different approaches.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, IBMe said:

That's the point. 

Yep, and I like Garrett's approach to these two options a lot better.

Currently, the XP ORX is a better gold prospecting detector than Deus 2. Deus 1 and Deus 2 are better coin, jewelry and relic detectors than the ORX at least for me. Adding the features I mentioned to the ORX via a fee based activation would be awesome. The ORX controller is by far my favorite of all three XP products.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Dcraun said:

This is a total non-issue and glass half full/half empty debate unless you believe the VX9 should have been offered at the VX5 price point in the first place (and the VX 5 price lowered even further).  Otherwise, if you believe the VX9 price is fair, then you can just buy the VX9.  If you can't afford the VX9 now, then at least you can get the VX5 or VX7 instead, and then upgrade when you can afford it without having to worry about selling your existing hardware.  There is basically nothing wrong with this approach unless you've convinced yourself it's a some sort of scam (which it isn't) or a slippery slope to gamer-like micro transactions which I think would permanently damage Garrett's reputation if they opened that Pandora's box.

Furthermore - If Garrett comes up with future capability (not just free incremental feature adds) that moves the Vortex needle into Nox/Legend or D2/Manticore territory, a paid significant step up to a VX11 or VX15 without having recently purchased VX9 buyer's remorse is now possible.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dcraun said:

Where is what Garrett is doing any different from what Nokta did with the new Simplex lineup Simplex lite, Simplex BT and Simplex Ultra,  or the Score, Double Score and Triple Score the only difference with what Garrett is doing with the Vortex is you purchase the low end model then if you want the top end model you pay a fee and install the top end version without having to purchase a whole new complete detector, what Garrett is doing with that is pretty smart in my opinion 

• Like 4

Even my wife ask me how was the video on the new detector and I said it was okay. Then she ask if I was going to buy it and my reply was not sure.

Now that was this morning but as the day goes bye I’m thinking why not.

Chuck 

• Like 2