New Style Remote Charging Plug

1 hour ago, Sinclair said:

I don't like the XP charging system on the D2 anyway.. and I often forget to screw the cap back on after charging, if I'm in a hurry.

I agree. I wish they'd do something like a quick connect magnetic charger for both the coil and remote, similar to what Minelab has. In the meantime, this is a welcomed upgrade for me. I absolutely hate the screw-on connector. 

1 hour ago, Sinclair said:

My detector came with that cable stock .. very flimsy imho - always in fear to break something 😀. I don't like the XP charging system on the D2 anyway.. and I often forget to screw the cap back on after charging, if I'm in a hurry.

I love my Deus 2 but I recently sold my remote partly because I absolutely hated screwing on that charging connector and partly because I just don't need the full remote. The WS6 Master setup works good enough for me since I won't be doing any diving or submerged Deus 2 water hunting. 

I like that new charging cable as long as the pins don't break. Now maybe XP will also come out with a different coil charging clip.....PLEASE!

48 minutes ago, Rattlehead said:

I agree. I wish they'd do something like a quick connect magnetic charger for both the coil and remote, similar to what Minelab has. In the meantime, this is a welcomed upgrade for me. I absolutely hate the screw-on connector. 

37 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I love my Deus 2 but I recently sold my remote partly because I absolutely hated screwing on that charging connector and partly because I just don't need the full remote. The WS6 Master setup works good enough for me since I won't be doing any diving or submerged Deus 2 water hunting. 

I like that new charging cable as long as the pins don't break. Now maybe XP will also come out with a different coil charging clip.....PLEASE!

They need to change the coil charging clip design, definitely.  It is interesting they went USB C on the new Xtreme Hunter coil.  

The problem with a magnetic connector on the coil itself would be that it would eventually magnetize and  collect a ton of magnetic oxide particles and other magnetic debris, risking damage, unreliability, or overheating during charging (due to a high resistance connection) and a debris cleaning/removal hassle for the end user to avoid these issues.

But there are a ton of more elegant coil charging interface solutions that could be incorporated going forward and many that could also be backfit onto the existing coils.  XP should make a decision to just rip the bandaid off and move to USB C, while at the same time designing a better coil charging solution.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

... It is interesting they went USB C on the new Xtreme Hunter coil....

I think the main reason they did that is EU regulations that are coming into force mandating that consumer electronics gear has a USB-C charging connector (and USB-C is just better!).

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220930IPR41928/long-awaited-common-charger-for-mobile-devices-will-be-a-reality-in-2024

I ordered one as I hate fiddling with the screw-in charging plug.

But thanks for the warning about the flimsy build! I will be sure to take extra care when plugging it in so I don’t bend or break any pins!

38 minutes ago, UKD2User said:

I think the main reason they did that is EU regulations that are coming into force mandating that consumer electronics gear has a USB-C charging connector (and USB-C is just better!).

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20220930IPR41928/long-awaited-common-charger-for-mobile-devices-will-be-a-reality-in-2024

Yep.  Forgot about that.  Any future XP detector generational design iteration will be required to have USB C.  But they should just do it because its the right thing to do.  Its a much more capable standard including the ability to operate at voltages higher than 5 VDC which can be leveraged to provide more efficient charging for more energy dense battery designs (perhaps facilitating a 10x5 coil, and now that I think about that, the fact that they would have to add USB-C compatible interface to that component may be another thing that is causing them to drag their feet).

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

They need to change the coil charging clip design, definitely.  It is interesting they went USB C on the new Xtreme Hunter coil.  

The problem with a magnetic connector on the coil itself would be that it would eventually magnetize and  collect a ton of magnetic oxide particles and other magnetic debris, risking damage, unreliability, or overheating during charging (due to a high resistance connection) and a debris cleaning/removal hassle for the end user to avoid these issues.

But there are a ton of more elegant coil charging interface solutions that could be incorporated going forward and many that could also be backfit onto the existing coils.  XP should make a decision to just rip the bandaid off and move to USB C, while at the same time designing a better coil charging solution.

I would not be surprised if Minelab got a patent on the magnetic coupling, but you'd think they could certainly come up with some sort of wireless induction charging.  Perhaps even utilizing the coils of wire already in the coil. (NOT an electrical engineer here... there may be practical reasons this wouldn't work)

Just used mine….it’s really slick.  Much better than the screw in type.  I hope it lasts….

• 2 weeks later...

I would like it if they made the blasted individual tails of the charging cable longer. It is difficult to hook all three items without having to either tilt the coil up or remove the RC from the base.. PIA

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DWerk said:

I would like it if they made the blasted individual tails of the charging cable longer. It is difficult to hook all three items without having to either tilt the coil up or remove the RC from the base.. PIA

I just collapse the lower. 🤔 Hang the headphones on the grip.

• Like 3