Garrett Vortex - Reasons To Buy One

I would add the Weight and balance criteria to this list . It is an important parameter especially for children , women and more generally people liking cumfortable to sweep detectors .

For me the Vortex CB is compact and will be lighter than its competitors . However as you said the Raider stock coil is probably heavier than the competition 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, palzynski said:

I would the Weight and balance criteria to this list . It is an important parameter especially for children , women and more generally people liking cumfortable to sweep detectors 

Apparently the Vortex with the stock Raider coil and lower shaft is 2.8 pounds, add the coil cover to that coil and you get 3 pounds I hear. My Apex with Viper coil + cover and lighter lower rod assembly measures 2.6 pounds. Thank you for reminding me I left that out! The Vortex ability to collapse might address women and children with weight and balance, but larger, heavier coils on anyone's detector, not counterbalanced, are just plain heavy, "S" handle" and "T" handle both.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it is a great machine, but the ONLY real advantages it has, waterproof, and you do not have to buy your kid a new machine when they get better, you just upgrade the one they have after they become hooked on the hobby. 

• Like 1

I pre ordered one last night. I think it will be a great addition .

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Garrett Vortex - Buy, Or Not To Buy?
1 hour ago, MD4V.org said:

I think it is a great machine, but the ONLY real advantages it has, waterproof, and you do not have to buy your kid a new machine when they get better, you just upgrade the one they have after they become hooked on the hobby. 

For me, the real advantage might be the three dimensional target analysis, more data to make educated choices to dig. Oddball oxidized ferrous targets are still the nemesis of the motion discriminator. Do I spend a lot of precious time on digging to prove otherwise or do I spend more time hunting for productive targets? Software updates and upgrades are great if your operating system is current with security up to date. If I were a water hunter, I would agree that waterproof is a great advantage. For me waterproof means easy cleanup and continuing to hunt in the rain on a productive site.  

• Like 4

I've been on a list with a dealer  since before Garrett even confirmed a new machine was actually a thing. At first I thought I'll pass. But now I'm thinking might as well try it out and support Garrett. The price is reasonable, so not much at stake even if I don't like it.

• Like 7