I Feel Like I Got Screwed. What Say You?

In the UK, dealers are offering a "free" M15 coil (previously a "free" ProFind 40) with a new Manti, while keeping the same selling price. From this I infer that Manti sales have been ok but have slowed down a lot, and sales of the M15 and ProFind40 have been very sluggish!

I don't expect to see price reductions, but who knows what the future holds? Prices of used Noxes are going down still.

Folks.. you can't blame Minelab for the fact that on its 35th anniversary.. it reduced the price of Manticore for a certain period of time...
Here in Europe, Minelab is giving away a free big coil for the Manticore for its 35th anniversary... I think it's a fair offer...

I'm personally saving money this year,,, so I'm not buying another detector...but it might be useful for someone...

But it's up to everyone how they approach it...

1 hour ago, abenson said:

To me Fisher looks like they are clearing out all their old stock on eBay, taking any reasonable offer made. That means one of two things, there are getting out of the consumer metal detector business or they have a whole new lineup of new models coming.

I'd love to see the whole new lineup. But it smacks of liquidation sales in that they are burning bridges with dealers. That and seems like most of marketing was fired or quit. None of that is laying groundwork for a big release, but I could be wrong and hope I am.

25 minutes ago, EL NINO77 said:

you can't blame Minelab for the fact that on its 35th anniversary

Nobody is blaming them for an anniversary since nobody including Minelab cares. It’s just a marketing tool and not why they are blowing the Manticore out the door at deep discount. I’ve been too deeply involved in how the corporate world works to be anything but cynical about stuff like this. They are not anyone’s friend and not doing anyone any favors. It’s all pure cold hard business calculations at work.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

But it smacks of liquidation sales

I just checked Ebay and they are still listing my CZ-21 with 10.5" coil for full price- $1579. I guess you have to make an offer on that one to see how low they go? Probably going to try to sell mine is why I was interested in their price.

1 hour ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I just checked Ebay and they are still listing my CZ-21 with 10.5" coil for full price- $1579. I guess you have to make an offer on that one to see how low they go? Probably going to try to sell mine is why I was interested in their price.

Yup, it's make an offer - see the Fisher Forum for a few deals people have been getting. If you offer too low they will counter offer. In fact if you are logged into eBay and simply look at the page, you probably will get an offer. This way they are not breaking their own MAP rules.

Impulse AQ is listed at $1999 guy offered $1200 and they countered with $1300, which he took. $700 discount and free shipping. $200 under the super duper introductory price that only the first 100 buyers were supposed to get.

Yes you got screwed are the shaft but now like a coin that has another side and its called a dealer that everyone buys from .

This no name dealer told me he had just received a shipment of 20 Manticores and now Minelab tells him you got to sell them at somewhat large reduced price. If you buy from him he’s always shipped free and that adds more to his loss. You can bet your sweet ass Minelab isn’t going to compensate him for his loss.

While we all are feeling sorry for ourselves I’m wondering now about who really pays when I ask for the 15% vet discount. The dealer has a price that he can sale you a detector set by Minelab. So you show proof and Minelab says sell it to him at the lesser amount. The way I see it the dealer took the hit for the 15% not Minelab. 
 I believe and I may be wrong but Minelab wasn’t letting the dealers have the detectors at a lesser price. So Minelab made the same profit sale are not.

The true person that benefited from this sale was one who didn’t have nothing to sale but just to buy.

My suggestion to this dealer was do like some dealers are doing and that’s drop ship from your wholesaler . You may make less profit bye doing so but you don’t have your money in such a large inventory.

Chuck 

2 hours ago, UKD2User said:

Nice link. Having run a business it does not work like that. I ordered a bunch of stuff on a guess thinking it would sell. Then the day came where I went “oh ####, I ###### up and ordered too many. What to do? Ok guys, let’s have a sale. Let’s see, Sunday is coming up…. We will call it the Super Sunday Sale! We need to blow these things out. What price will work? $200 off. Maybe. $300? Ah, screw it, I’m busy and need these things out of here, need some cash for a new forklift I want to buy. Let’s bite the bullet and go $500 off and get these things gone!

The basic flaw of economics is stated in the first paragraph of the link “In neoclassical economics, which is currently the mainstream approach to microeconomics, the firm is assumed to be a "rational agent"”

Rational agents - ha! The business world is made up of human beings and has all types. As humans mistakes are regularly made. Petty politics is rampant in any large organization. Important decisions get made with a hangover from last night. Big egos everywhere trying to make a mark with a wild gamble. Rational? Let me hold up Elon Musk as exhibit A. Brilliant? No doubt. Rational? Depends on the moment and it has been my observation that genius is the tiniest step away from madness. No, people try hard, but trying to reduce people or companies to equations based on an assumption they act rationally is an exercise doomed to failure. Emotion and human frailty are a large part of the equation.