2100v2 Vs Vs GPX 4500 Or 5000

Hello all.  I have a 2100v2 with docs screamer/battery kit an an assortment of coils.  I use it very occasionaly where I live in Alaska (more GB2 country) but hopefully I will get at least a couple weeks a year to niugget hunt around prescott az while visiting my wifes sister.  Its not a lot of use so I dont want to spend big money but I do want my best chance of success.

So my question is, will I see a marked difference in performance & ease of use between the upgraded 2100v2 & a gpx 4500 or 5000.  I see very slightly used 4500s & 5000s up here regularly in the $2400/2500 range.

Ease of use is relative, the GPX series has much more settings and timings that covers a variety of soil conditions.  GPX has much improved performance over older minelab PI.  Read Detector Data Base and most of your questions will be answered.

Vance

If you are on the fence and want to invest in a detector that would have a wider range of benefits for you both in Arizona and Alaska I would suggest adding an Equinox 800 or preferably the 900 to your arsenal. This will allow you to hunt the trash-rich areas with a bit of discrimination and will still work very well on tiny gold. It is impressive to see how deep these detectors find targets and how small of bedrock gold they will find. 

10 hours ago, Vance in AK said:

Hello all.  I have a 2100v2 with docs screamer/battery kit an an assortment of coils. 

So my question is, will I see a marked difference in performance & ease of use between the upgraded 2100v2 & a gpx 4500 or 5000

The SD-2100v2 is a very simple detector to use verses the much more complicated GPX series. 

The GPX-5000 performance on gold using mono coils and smooth timings is far superior on small and medium sized gold usually under 10 grams.

So if you have some mono coils in your arsenal the GPX-5000 will help you find gold you cannot hear with the SD-2100, but at the cost of learning a more complex detector that you plan on only using a few weeks a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

The SD-2100v2 is a very simple detector to use verses the much more complicated GPX series. 

The GPX-5000 performance on gold using mono coils and smooth timings is far superior on small and medium sized gold usually under 10 grams.

So if you have some mono coils in your arsenal the GPX-5000 will help you find gold you cannot hear with the SD-2100, but at the cost of learning a more complex detector that you plan on only using a few weeks a year.

Ron, I understand what you are saying.  So combined with my Gold Bug 2 it would be an OK combo, especially in ground thats not overly highly mineralized?

7 hours ago, Vance in AK said:

Ron, I understand what you are saying.  So combined with my Gold Bug 2 it would be an OK combo, especially in ground thats not overly highly mineralized?

The SD/GPX Legacy series & the GB2 have found a lot of gold for many people in the goldfields. Having a discrimination VLF for low mineralized ground and a more recent version PI is always a good combo if pursuing a better chance of finding gold in a variety of soil conditions.
The stock SD series just lacked the ability to hear the smaller gold that the GPX can hear much better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RONS DETECTORS MINELAB said:

The SD/GPX Legacy series & the GB2 have found a lot of gold for many people in the goldfields. Having a discrimination VLF for low mineralized ground and a more recent version PI is always a good combo if pursuing a better chance of finding gold in a variety of soil conditions.
The stock SD series just lacked the ability to hear the smaller gold that the GPX can hear much better.

So I do have Docs screamer battery kit on it.  How much does that change performance?

15 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Tiny thing but that old SD threshold warble drove me crazy. The GPX models have a rock steady threshold. That plus better small gold capability and better hot rock handling would have me never going back to a SD or even GP model from the GPX series.

Thanks Steve.  I did read the page you posted.  Great info as always!