Website Rollback - New Update ×

Depth Readout Vs Actual Depth Of Target & Pinpointing Tricks

The CTX does it, too, unless you switch to "sizing" poinpoint.  Coming from the Explorer, it takes some getting used to.  I didn't know about this "ratcheting" feature when I started using the CTX recently, and quickly noticed it being "different" from the Explorer.  I kind of "figured it out," and THEN I read about "what's going on," in Andy's book.  When I read about the "ratcheting," then what I was experiencing made sense.  Now that I understand this, I am interested in trying the "sizing" pinpoint mode on the CTX, as I assume now that it's more similar to the pinpoint mode on the Explorers.  

One problem with this "ratcheting" mode  is that when there are multiple targets around -- it's trying to "adjust" and "ratchet" to several different targets, and sometimes you "lose" targets as they get "tuned out" by the machine reacting to another target nearby.

Steve -- is the poinpoint mode ALWAYS in this "ratcheting" mode, or are there two modes, "normal," and "sizing," or something, like on the CTX?

Steve

I only use pinpoint functions sporadically, but the one on Equinox is grabbing me. Just push pinpoint button and it locks into pinpoint. Work the target a second or two and it magically zooms in, but then holds a steady small tone over the center of target. Very quick, very intuitive. There are no adjustments or on/off - it just works.

Most of the time I can just quickly eyeball the beeps and be right on target, but the pinpoint is nice for getting centered on those weaker signals.

• Like 2

Thanks, Steve.  Glad to hear that it holds onto the small, steady tone.

I agree, I often don't pinpoint, but sometimes there's a use for it, IMO.

Steve

On the beach I use pinpointing all the time. Saves me from messing around with an extra pinpointer and armed with a little selfmade sand scoop, it's almost a 90% hit on the first try. So for me a must have feature :happy:

3 hours ago, Sinclair said:

On the beach I use pinpointing all the time. Saves me from messing around with an extra pinpointer and armed with a little selfmade sand scoop, it's almost a 90% hit on the first try. So for me a must have feature :happy:

Only thing is this thing might be picking up items that fall through the scoop, lol.  I too like to leave my pinpointer in the car when beach detecting.  Along came the HF coils for the Deus and I started picking up very small items, some of them keepers (very small jewelry items that kept falling through the scoop holes, lol).  I started bringing my PP along just to be able to locate these things in little sand piles I would put on a golf towel.  Equinox with 20/40 khz MultiIQ (for both 600/800) might just start hitting on these items too.

• Like 1