Depth Readout Vs Actual Depth Of Target & Pinpointing Tricks

The CTX does it, too, unless you switch to "sizing" poinpoint.  Coming from the Explorer, it takes some getting used to.  I didn't know about this "ratcheting" feature when I started using the CTX recently, and quickly noticed it being "different" from the Explorer.  I kind of "figured it out," and THEN I read about "what's going on," in Andy's book.  When I read about the "ratcheting," then what I was experiencing made sense.  Now that I understand this, I am interested in trying the "sizing" pinpoint mode on the CTX, as I assume now that it's more similar to the pinpoint mode on the Explorers.  

One problem with this "ratcheting" mode  is that when there are multiple targets around -- it's trying to "adjust" and "ratchet" to several different targets, and sometimes you "lose" targets as they get "tuned out" by the machine reacting to another target nearby.

Steve -- is the poinpoint mode ALWAYS in this "ratcheting" mode, or are there two modes, "normal," and "sizing," or something, like on the CTX?

Steve

I only use pinpoint functions sporadically, but the one on Equinox is grabbing me. Just push pinpoint button and it locks into pinpoint. Work the target a second or two and it magically zooms in, but then holds a steady small tone over the center of target. Very quick, very intuitive. There are no adjustments or on/off - it just works.

Most of the time I can just quickly eyeball the beeps and be right on target, but the pinpoint is nice for getting centered on those weaker signals.

Thanks, Steve.  Glad to hear that it holds onto the small, steady tone.

I agree, I often don't pinpoint, but sometimes there's a use for it, IMO.

Steve

On the beach I use pinpointing all the time. Saves me from messing around with an extra pinpointer and armed with a little selfmade sand scoop, it's almost a 90% hit on the first try. So for me a must have feature :happy:

3 hours ago, Sinclair said:

On the beach I use pinpointing all the time. Saves me from messing around with an extra pinpointer and armed with a little selfmade sand scoop, it's almost a 90% hit on the first try. So for me a must have feature :happy:

Only thing is this thing might be picking up items that fall through the scoop, lol.  I too like to leave my pinpointer in the car when beach detecting.  Along came the HF coils for the Deus and I started picking up very small items, some of them keepers (very small jewelry items that kept falling through the scoop holes, lol).  I started bringing my PP along just to be able to locate these things in little sand piles I would put on a golf towel.  Equinox with 20/40 khz MultiIQ (for both 600/800) might just start hitting on these items too.