Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

I Guess I‘m In.. Kind Of Logbook

On 5/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, phrunt said:

I see your bottle caps pictures and feel sorry for you, not because you get so many bottle caps, but because people around where you live throw so many bottle caps on the ground! I absolutely hate people throwing rubbish and don't understand why they would do it.  I'm glad your Nox journey has improved, I really enjoy using my Nox.

I pick rubbish up off the ground some clown has dropped and put in in the bin no more than five steps away from a rubbish bin, why people drop it on the ground right near a rubbish disposal spot I will never understand. 

I am thinking the same every time I am on the beach. Some of the stuff get's lost accidentally, just like the money and other good stuff we find. On the other hand, some people leave their trash intentionally, thinking someones gonna remove it for them..

On 5/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, phrunt said:

You've taken some really nice photos of your beaches, they look so beautiful if I didn't know they were trashed filled ?

They are not all that bad - there are some certain spots, which are extreme - especially those, where the younger generation tends to party.. at least they are much cleaner now ?

In fact I often think, what a privilege it is to be able to reach such nice locations within a 10-30min drive.

Yesterday I didn't find much, but a musket ball in the wet sand:

25136FB5-6A2C-474B-BF13-22938CEE6EE1_zps

A fellow detectorist found a 8k goldring 10m in front of me - what a bummer ? But who knows if I would have found it, so no need to be jealous.

• Like 3

It's super easy to get rid of the bottlecaps.

Just put it in all metal, bring the good sounding target to edge of coil and you will hear change in tone and see numbers jump.

Hand on heart, I did a test in my garden and asked a mate to hide 20 coins and 20 bottlecaps......i came outside with the Nox, did my little trick with all metal and out of the 20 targets that i thought were coins i was right on 19 out of 20.

19 coins

1 bottlecap.

Simple.

Or, get a CTX, but it will miss gold chains and cost you a fortune in Chiropractor visits with the weight..lol

Matt

• Like 1

7 hours ago, staffydog33 said:

It's super easy to get rid of the bottlecaps.

Matt - I don't want to offend you, but: That's just not true. I repeat myself.. There are bottlecaps with solid IDs which are not easy distinguishable - not all of them, but more then enough, trust me.

I don't know where you're from, maybe they are made slightly different all over the globe.

However, for various reasons which I've already explained, I'll just dig them if I'm not sure ... simple :happy:

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Matt - I don't want to offend you, but: That's just not true. I repeat myself.. There are bottlecaps with solid IDs which are not easy distinguishable - not all of them, but more then enough, trust me.

I don't know where you're from, maybe they are made slightly different all over the globe.

However, for various reasons which I've already explained, I'll just dig them if I'm not sure ... simple :happy:

Not true? So i#m making it up?

I'm in the UK and 99.99% of the time, the method i have explained works for me.

Matt

Hi Matt! Let's just say "Results may vary." ?

• Like 2

Yup, what Terry said. If two people listen to 100 targets, they will differ as to how much stuff they dig as being “good targets” and “bad targets”. In other words, what one person may decide is a trash target may be good enough sounding to dig to the other person. We vary in how aggressively we reject trash, which goes hand in hand with potentially missing good items.

Then add the fact that the local trash mix varies tremendously and how much it interferes with your detecting depends on the targets you hunt and how much local trash reads the same.

This leads to situations where one person says “this works for me” and another says “it does not work for me”. It’s not a matter of making things up or anything, and no reason for anyone to take offense or argue. So whether it worked for Sinclair or not I will just say thanks staffydog33 for sharing your advice. Even if it does not help Sinclair it may help someone else, and helping others is a large reason for this forums existence.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Yup, what Terry said. If two people listen to 100 targets, they will differ as to how much stuff they dig as being “good targets” and “bad targets”. In other words, what one person may decide is a trash target may be good enough sounding to dig to the other person. We vary in how aggressively we reject trash, which goes hand in hand with potentially missing good items.

Then add the fact that the local trash mix varies tremendously and how much it interferes with your detecting depends on the targets you hunt and how much local trash reads the same.

This leads to situations where one person says “this works for me” and another says “it does not work for me”. It’s not a matter of making things up or anything, and no reason for anyone to take offense or argue. So whether it worked for Sinclair or not I will just say thanks staffydog33 for sharing your advice. Even if it does not help Sinclair it may help someone else, and helping others is a large reason for this forums existence.

100% true

For me it already paid off to dig them - been on the same small beach as 4 days before and it was noticeably easier to recover some fresh coins - 10,50€ in 2h - I've done worse :laugh:

D29D7288-495A-447D-9AE6-08C0A2B7AFE8_zps

3568BF6C-5F16-4E19-9A8D-0656A16A5A7A_zps

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Another ~4 weeks with the nox and some more or less awesome evenigs on the beaches..

844930F1-8C0D-47D7-B464-5269185B9F8D_zps

I've met more detectorists in two month as in two whole years .. I guess that's the way it is :unsure:

Found my first dime and ~17€ today :smile::

AF849160-53A4-4B0C-A713-D8F89707F90B_zps

Counting up the clad:

6B89403A-6AE7-4DC3-86DE-24F7B09FEAE5_zps

~182€ / 214$ by now

No high hopes for the season, but we'll see. I'll have a week off detecing now :ph34r:

• Like 3

I just found that resizeable ring from my last hunt in my car, which I thought is a junker..

5D1570EB-5390-4147-96F2-D5395437B8C1_zps

Turned out, it's 925 silver or at least silver plated? :laugh:

A6659153-521F-4CF4-9344-8FC415F9446A_zps

oh well.. always double check those junkers :ph34r:

• Like 1