Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Concentric Coil For Equinox 800?

Desert Dawg

A mono coil and a concentric are not the same thing. A mono has a single coil winding, and can only work on a PI, as this one coil alternates between transmitting and receiving.

A concentric coil and a DD coil both have separate transmit and receive windings. The Go-Find coil has to have two windings, and so is a pseudo mono just based on appearance.

Coil Basics by Carl Moreland

metal-detector-coil-dd-mono-concentric.j

Thanks, Steve.  In my statements regarding Mono coil variations having two coils, I was relying on information contained in the Garrett link I posted earlier in which Garrett states the following (emphasis added by me), 

"Mono

A mono-coil is available only on Pulse Induction detectors and is a variation of the concentric configuration. The mono-coil can be manufactured with the TX and RX coils located together or as a single coil acting as both TX and RX.

The detection and performance characteristics of the mono are essentially the same as the concentric in that it provides the maximum possible sensitivity, but suffers some performance in mineralized ground."

And shows the accompanying "mono coil" diagram (below) as the example showing two distinctly separate but colocated windings.

I agree with you that it appears that the Go Find coil is likely "pseudo mono", but the Garrett description describes both single and co-located dual windings as "mono".  Though it seems more technically correct to describe it as "pseudo mono" since it is a dual winding coil and probably more accurately classified as a concentric coil special case than a mono coil special case has Garrett has done in their coil basics literature.  Thanks and sorry for the confusion, but that's what happens when there are multiple "definative" references out there on MD tech.  Lol.

searchcoil_mono.jpg

18 minutes ago, Alluminati said:

The GoFind isnt a pulse induction.

Um, exactly, that's why we are wondering why the coil looks like it does.  It does not look like a DD nor a concentric.  It looks like the pseudo mono thing discussed above.  In other words, it has to be dual windings but not in the traditional concentric coil configuration we are used to seeing.

minelab-go-find-60.jpg

9 minutes ago, Alluminati said:

The GoFind looks like a concentric, or a DD turned 90°. Squarecentric. The support in the middle could be part of the coil.

The term mono is usually reserved for Pulse Induction, it's the only modern machine I am aware of that can use one because the TX and RX happen at different times.

Lol. Deja vu all over again.    We know it's not a mono because it's not a PI so we were speculating on what it could be because it looks like a two-winding "mono" as described in the Garrett tech document I quoted two posts back (but more accurately described as a square coaxial coil with the two windings co-located vs. separated as in a traditional concentric/coaxial).  I also considered that the supports were part of the coil, but a DD 90° sideways can't work because detectorists naturally swing side-to-side, so in that orientation it would be like taking a normal DD and pushing it back and forth like a rake.  Not very effective.  They coud be "squarecentric" as you put it but concentric/coaxial coils usually maintain symmetry by keeping the inner and outer coils a set distance from each other.  I am pretty sure they are just supports.  My money is on the co-located outer Tx/inner Rx windings (dubbed psuedo mono by Steve).