Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Advice on Detecting in Bear Country

Full set of head phones.That helps with the wind noise and keeps your ears warm. I use Detector Pro Nugget Buster phones. You can adjust the volume on each side if needed or turn one side off completely.

44 MAGNUM STAINLESS STEEL NO EXCEPTIONS !!!!!!. 

As a side benefit. No one will give you crap about digging holes if you have one :)

Thanks for the info -- Does a .454 Casull count for a .44 mag stainless?  I keep it close for those intimate moments...  :)

I think what I'm going to try is an in-ear phone like the Shure.  Love my old Grey Ghosts, but I just want to hear what's going on when I'm out in the bush.  I've had a few "close encounters" already -- I want to hear the 'huff huff and breaking branches before I look up and see a grizz or blackie looking at me for a snack! 

• Like 1

357 Mag or sjmpainters 44 Mag - A good Dog or two and as ShastaGH said the Rattlers would be my get up. I hunt were there are lots of Cougars, Rattlers and good old Mr Black Bear. The Wasps and ticks bug me the most but i hunt with one earphone off when cruisen a new area but pull the other one on when slowing down and really working an area. I depend on my dogs tremendously when i cruise the forest detecting. I've always had a dog as long as i can remember so its natural to me. When i occasionally hunt areas close to a busy road and i leave the dogs home it funny because i mentally feel that my perimeter watch as i call it is down.

External speakers would be great - unless Ole Grandfather Brown Bear gets curious about those funny ass noises in the bush - Lol.

Guns and Hand Grenades my Uncle used to say

AjR 

• Like 2

Jup a 454 will do it. Heavy but better than the frying pan idea.

A good dog is probably the best. They will take a bear for you.

Not sure I would like in the ear phones. If you go that way give some feedback. I am curious.

If anyone has experience with wireless system I would really be interested in that. I can see that being the hot ticket in brush.

AjR have your uncle PM me on the grenades, that just sounds like a blast.