I was hiking in an area in central Indiana not really known for hotrocks.

I  went to check a creek island out for kicks and found out it is covered with rusty red rocks, and purple and pink rocks.The island is roughly 100 feet long and 20 feet wide and 4 feet high above the fast moving creek.It is jam packed with these rusty red rocks. Downstream is all a sheet of bedrock and small gravels and NONE of these rusty red rocks. I was told I could not pan, not so sure about detecting unless maybe my Falcon Gold Probe? How does one use this detector to check for ferrous and non- ferrous rocks exactly? I need to get some small gravels/dirt maybe and pan offsite.

So, why is this island , or my so called Hot Rock island , like this? We usually only find red hematites and black sands and white gravels  in Indiana creeks and not very many of them. But gold is usually found where the red stones are at and chunky black sands.

-Tom V. 

Can you bring a bucket of dirt home?

maybe a ziplock bag is all I dare take altho access to this place is right difficult and I've never seen a soul there besides me  and a few beer cans...you can barely park a car and barely hike in, I almost fell over a 25 foot cliff,no warning signs at all...they seem to care more about trash than people...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      Worth the watch, good information for you Detector Prospectors!
      Lesson 1 - Where Does Gold Come From?
      Lesson 2 - How To Find Lode Gold Deposits

• By usaflaginmaine
      Why does California have so much gold that is seemingly just laying not far below the surface of the topsoil?
    • By goldbrick
      I had posted the following in another thread recently but it did not get much traction maybe because the thread was about something totally different? LOL 
      If you have an opinion let's hear it! This thread is not titled for experts only!

I wonder if there is a difference in performance in tailings depending on the type of tailings. Do we need to differentiate between hard rock tailings and placer tailings when talking about the relative merits of PI versus VLF. For instance tailings from ancient river deposits as opposed to a hard rock tailings deposit consisting of iron rich ultra-mafic rocks. Or is it a moot point in all ground types of hard rock tailings due to no electrical conductivity in hard rock tailings because they are busted up? I think quartz tailings can be very benign almost to the point of an inability to GB on them.
      In regard to depth on tailings  between PI/VLF being basically equal, is that true in all instances except for say a GPX or GPZ due to the battery power enabling a much higher level of gain? Like VLF = TDI but VLF < GPX?
      HH,
      Merton
    • By auminesweeper
      Steve, Can you explain why Tailing piles are lower in mineralization compare to other areas, And would the Tailings at place's like Moore's Creek be Hotter than The Tailings Ganes Creek,

What Cause's them to be Lower than the general Detecting Areas is it Because they are made up of disturbed Ground??

Thanks,,, John
    • By jasong
      A mining company called Integra is offering a $1 million prize to process their 6 terabytes of data and make a new big gold discovery in a hard rock property they purchased in Canada.

https://herox.com/IntegraGoldRush

If anyone is into mapping, exploration, geology, hard rock mining, and data processing with computers then this may be something you are interested in. We're obviously all interested in gold already! Seems like there are a few mining engineers and geologists that post on various gold forums.
    • By spencer@wy
      The state of wy is doing a pine tree clear-cut over top of a potential gold rich zone north of the old miners delight mine, doing so in the name of better habitat for the quakies.
      This seems a little wierd to me, so i ask if anyone knows if removal of decidous? trees would greatly increase effectivness of such a survey?