Sign in to follow this  
tvanwho

Hot Rock Island

I was hiking in an area in central Indiana not really known for hotrocks.

I  went to check a creek island out for kicks and found out it is covered with rusty red rocks, and purple and pink rocks.The island is roughly 100 feet long and 20 feet wide and 4 feet high above the fast moving creek.It is jam packed with these rusty red rocks. Downstream is all a sheet of bedrock and small gravels and NONE of these rusty red rocks. I was told I could not pan, not so sure about detecting unless maybe my Falcon Gold Probe? How does one use this detector to check for ferrous and non- ferrous rocks exactly? I need to get some small gravels/dirt maybe and pan offsite.

So, why is this island , or my so called Hot Rock island , like this? We usually only find red hematites and black sands and white gravels  in Indiana creeks and not very many of them. But gold is usually found where the red stones are at and chunky black sands.

-Tom V. 

Can you bring a bucket of dirt home?

maybe a ziplock bag is all I dare take altho access to this place is right difficult and I've never seen a soul there besides me  and a few beer cans...you can barely park a car and barely hike in, I almost fell over a 25 foot cliff,no warning signs at all...they seem to care more about trash than people...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Rick N. MI
      It was streaks of black sand on the beach. I hunted in the water with the Equinox 800 in Gold 1. I didn't dig any deep targets. The scoop would have black sand go across regular sand when I would shake the scoop. Everywhere I hunt is very mild. I don't know if this is affecting the depth here or not. My other beach waters would ground balance 0. This one was 14. The Gold Kruzer mineral was bouncing 2 - 3 bars. That's not to bad.
      I ran a super magnet thru the sand on the beach. Is this a lot of black sand on the magnet or not? I have seen sold black sand beaches in the upper peninsula of Michigan. They mine a lot iron in the UP.

• By pepeli ridge
      I have been searching for a quartz reef for 3 years in this area and I found it. 1200mm wide ,and goes for 5 meters on top covered in moss,it's on a side of a ridge that was formed on a fault ,pushed up.
      the area is also covered in loose quartz rocks ,some the size of a football. white,yellow and rusty.
      I have been using a minelab 5000 in the area for a year. only found silver/lead nuggets and a hundred bullets .No gold. my experience with a detector and prospecting is a beginner.
      within a 6 kilometer radius of this spot are 5 gold mines ,2 working . old iron ore mine, old lead mine,and a old diamond mine. 
      excited ,I run the detector over the reef and near area for 3 days and got no signals.Zero hits.not even a bullet. complete nothing. 
      cheers
      Paul

• By geelong guy
      hi guys and gals i have been interested in gold for years but so far no luck have read heaps of books ect dont need x marks the spot but some advice on how you guys have found your bits and bobs im hoping to retire next year and chase some gold up at talbot in victoria an old friend has just bought a home there thanking you all happy hunting
    • By mn90403
      Most of us don't have a geology degree but it would probably help when we are out detecting and doing research.  Geology has a language laced with time periods that I've never taken the time to learn so this is going to be a ramble.
      This is a chart which can help us to know history and geology and place the events which formed our detecting areas into the puzzle.  We can then use plate tectonics to help us know how our region got to where it is today and understand the mountains and folds in the earth's crust.
      How do we tell the difference between geologic ages?
      http://www.stratigraphy.org/index.php/ics-chart-timescale
      One article I read said: On Earth, gold finally reached us some 200 million years after the formation of the planet when meteorites packed with gold and other metals bombarded its surface. During the formation of Earth, molten iron sank to its centre to make the core. This took with it the vast majority of the planet’s precious metals — such as gold and platinum. In fact, there are enough precious metals in the core to cover the entire surface of Earth with a four-metre thick layer.
      https://www.zmescience.com/science/how-gold-is-made-science-064654/
      And then came the plates!
      Tectonic Plates’ Patterns Revealed
      https://www.livescience.com/38819-plate-tectonics-patterns.html

Can someone that knows this stuff make it more simple?  haha  I mean where did the gold in Arizona, Nevada, California, Australia and New Zealand come from in a geological time frame (the beginning we know from the star or stars) and then the weathering has come into play.  I guess every local Mining College has people working on that so that professional miners are more successful than the rest of us.
      Clay, are you reading this?   The topic is too big so old timers learned from each other and passed along their knowledge of specific deposits and veins.  The USGS and satellite imagery are probably now the tools in use and maybe we as detectorists could get a drone?
      Mitchel

• By Steve Herschbach
      Worth the watch, good information for you Detector Prospectors!
      Lesson 1 - Where Does Gold Come From?
      Lesson 2 - How To Find Lode Gold Deposits

• By usaflaginmaine
      Why does California have so much gold that is seemingly just laying not far below the surface of the topsoil?