Added A Power Bank To My Manticore

BigSkyGuy

I am not saying everyone needs to rig up a power bank. I justed posted my solution for those who are interested. Thought it might save someone some time or spark some other ideas on how to do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

That's OK, we're used to it.  :laugh:

I do see one case where it would be useful (for me) and that's when I forgot to recharge.  I agree that I wouldn't want the extra weight although balance-wise it would help a lot of detector+coil combos (don't know about the Manticore, though).  In that case I would do more of a bubble gum and tissue paper solution and just strap on the external battery pack without all the extra mounting hardware.

Is changing the internal battery on your own a potential warranty voider??

Will not void the warranty as long as you re-assemble it correctly.  But if you mess up the O-ring during the changeout and get water intrusion, then that probably won't be covered.

I always have a charging bank and the right cables in my backpack (if I'm more than a couple hundred yards from the vehicle) as an emergency backup for my cell phone, wireless audio gear, go pro, and detector.  It also has a built-in flash light.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigSkyGuy said:

I am not saying everyone needs to rig up a power bank. I justed posted my solution for those who are interested. Thought it might save someone some time or spark some other ideas on how to do it.

Understood.  Just wanted to make sure people considered all the implications of doing this if they were inclined to rig this up.  Like I said in my original reply, it was a nice setup.

• Like 1

Absolutely correct the battery pack would need to come off for water hunting. That's why mine is velcroed on. The Anker power Pack I use has special circuitry that I think is actually better than charging with phone wall chargers. If the power pack is turned off you should have no issues with rain. You shouldn't charge in the rain or if the detector is wet or battery is soaked. A little common sense goes a long way here. Take it for what it's worth My buddy found a Anker brand power pack under the leaves while detecting in a large park. It was dirty and had obviously been wet. It still works.

I used a power pack on my Nox 800 practically from day one. I may not detect as much as some folks but, I do detect far more the average guy, and for longer lengths of time. I really like AT-HC the Manticore and it does suck battery. The screen uses more juice too. A power pack for me is basically a necessity.

On the weight thing. I checked the weight and the power pack is 6.3 ounces. My case used for the battery weighs practically nothing. So basically my setup is half a pound. I had a XP D1. I never got used to how light it was. I'm sure many, maybe most will disagree on this. For me personally a detector can be to heavy, and also a detector can be to light. I have much better swing control with a little bit more weight.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

If the power pack is turned off you should have no issues with rain.

True.  The issue is when current is running through the magnetic connector pins.

6 minutes ago, longbow62 said:

A little common sense goes a long way here.

Agreed, but it is amazing how uncommon, common sense is. :laugh:

The cold charging thing is not so obvious, and wanted people to know about it.

I have very bad experience with magnetic cables. My laptop was burn - mainboard and it was my fault... because magnetic connector attracted little iron piece... and short circuit happen.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2023 at 3:33 AM, BigSkyGuy said:

IMG_0579 - Copy.JPG

I'd flip the screws which attach the stand to the stem - flat side up. Prevents injuries and torn up jacket sleeves 😊

• 1 month later...

Added weight is not a bad thing in the right location, as in the rear of the detector, helps the balance. I find better the balance better the swing, takes less wrist strain and put the weight on the whole arm which I can handle better. I added a whole pound of fishing pencil weight to the end and it was a whole lot better than stock weight. What would be better is if someone could make a battery container that took a bigger battery than what comes with the machine and attached to the end of the shaft. Delete the internal battery in the handle, run the wires though the shaft. More battery capacity and moves the weight for better balance. May not be water proof anymore, but I don't plan on going in the water anyway. 

I often use the external battery unplugged on my Legend, just as a counterbalance. It just swings easier for me in that configuration.