XP 280 Backpack = Perfection On The Road

ColonelDan

Thank you for that review, Colonel! I got my 280 long before I got my D2 and it accomodated my other detector well, but haven't flown with either yet. I actually never considered using the 280 to fly with and usually pack my detectors (all except the control pods) in a checked suitcase. I have to fly next month with the D2 and was wondering if I could put the coil in a checked bag or would have to carry it on with the control pod because of the internal batteries. I was considering getting the hard plastic case to carry on the whole D2, but your review convinced me I can use the 280 instead. Thank you again!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Thank you for that review, Colonel! I got my 280 long before I got my D2 and it accomodated my other detector well, but haven't flown with either yet. I actually never considered using the 280 to fly with and usually pack my detectors (all except the control pods) in a checked bag. I have to fly next month with the D2 and was wondering if I could put the coil in a check bag or would have to carry it on with the control pod because of the internal batteries. I was considering getting the hard plastic case to carry on the whole D2, but your review convinced me I can use the 280 instead. Thank you again!

What I related is just my TSA experience at the two airports we used. Like beaches, they(airports and TSA crew)  can all differ to some degree I suspect.  

Having said that, I much prefer keeping important pieces of equipment with me rather than trusting them to some unknown fate that's out of my sight and out of my control.  The 280 fits that bill perfectly.

• Like 1

I could not agree more Colonel. It really is a superior pack. There was no skimping in the quality of materials or workmanship. Well thought out design too. My one concern was would I be able to stuff a winter coat in it with all my othe gear. Often it might be in the teens when I head out early morning but when it gets into the thirties, the heavy jacket is coming off. I am able to squish it into the main compartment with the shaft assembly etc. 

• Like 1

280 is the best XP top end backpack, it’s just a really well made detecting backpack. I have a 240 one, it’s more than enough for me. I always wear my 240 with D2 and 9” + 11” coils. A friend of mine owns a 280 and he’s happy with it.  Compliments for your beautiful and big 280.. 👍

3C9C8488-4010-4DB6-B8F1-B99346610261.thumb.jpeg.089b0d728b7763081d1d841ff0cc13ed.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent thoughtful review, Colonel. 👍 I have the 280 and keep it on hand as a go bag, but normally now I use a fly fishing vest to keep my on-hand stuff and coils on my back, it has a small backpack as well and pockets everywhere. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08PPB6V3761xjicU53L._AC_UY1000_.thumb.jpg.cdb4a1bcaa8d24cb88596c8f368c898c.jpg

I cut the front black pockets off with a seam ripper, the pockets behind them hold coin boxes and my cell phone.71kHWb68PL._AC_UY1000_.thumb.jpg.65703c2c7ac9c967897a25aa87dbc3e8.jpg

For 45 bucks it's a steal. 🙂 Completely adjustable too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

F350, that’s clever.  Creatively clever.  👍🏻😊

Don't mean to steal the 280's or your thunder, but Chase has a similar vest, I stole the idea from him. 😀

• Like 2