Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

X Coils In The Q

5 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

As a suggestion try using these with a quality booster such as a B&Z or 

I have this exact headset and I love it. Never used it for detecting though as I was afraid the noice cancelling feature would add to EMI, or any other electronic component of the detector would be compromised. Do you recommend to use it, in combo with a booster like the SP01? Is this headset made for hearing the right detector audio frequencies? I know this can be an issue.

I often hunt in howling wind which would make this a nice tool to have, assuming it would not compromise detector performance in any way. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

In essence what your saying is your a prospector and not essentially focusing on being a detector operator.

Exactly this. I've made a lot more money prospecting for and selling minerals and gold to companies than I've made or ever will make detecting for nuggets. What is important to me is to know "is there gold here, where is it, what does it look like, and in what general quantities", I don't need to find every piece to learn that. I've barely found 4lbs of gold with a detector in my life, that is nowhere close to enough for me to live off. But detectable gold is a great way to trace eroded away or hidden high grade structures, and these are what I really look for today. That knowledge is valuable to me.

I do detect for fun though too. Like these trips I'm posting about. And when I move fast, I find a lot of areas I can revisit later, which are great for as you say paying gas by cleaning up the missed bits. These are the trips I try to make 2 grams minimum a day, to pay for gas and food, and I always seem to find more when I cover more ground vs slowing down and trying to clean up crumbs. 

I adopted a "brute force" method when I started since I knew no one to help learn or share locations, which was basically just systematically covering every possible bit of ground and observing the geology and signs of human activity around me until I figured out what to do just by sheer amount of ground covered alone. It's not unusual for me to walk 4-6 miles a day when I look at my GPS tracks.

It's not possible to cover that much ground with extreme accuracy, so I don't sweat the small stuff. I am comfortable that I get the majority of gold I need to get the information I am after. 

Thanks for the information on Volume, I'll give your advice a try next time I am at one of my washes I just hit and see how it goes. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, jasong said:

I've barely found 4lbs of gold with a detector in my life, that is nowhere close to enough for me to live off.

Just of interest what % of what you`ve found is from "flogged" patches compared to virgin patches. I believe for my time about 95%plus  is from virgin ground. 

6 hours ago, Norvic said:

Just of interest what % of what you`ve found is from "flogged" patches compared to virgin patches. 

Probably about 80% for me. But it's not going to continue, too much population too close to the goldfields here in the US means virgin ground is almost non existent today. That's why I'm concentrating more on finding and selling large scale hard rock prospects to companies now, almost no prospectors do this here in the US and so my competition is basically non existent. I believe this is the only way to actually make money prospecting in the US today.

Without a doubt though, for raw production, there is no substitute for working virgin ground, if a person can find it.

There are some borderline case patches from 4500/5000 days which I found right in flogged areas because people (including detecting veterans) were insisting online about running in Fine Gold and very low gains in mild ground with deep bigger nuggets, as was the advice on the US forums back then. It was "flogged ground", but not really flogged. 

That said, I just found a mini-patch this week that my 17X was definitely the first over. Nothing amazing, but they are still out there , even though I really not too fond of that phrase these days here in the US.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks Jasong, downunder in my part of OZ particularly on private land there are still virgin patches to be found, problem for me is as one ages legs seem to grow the same length and that slows one down in this rugged part of OZ.?

Yes as you found with the GPX days, "popular" settings are not the go for production. The GPZ is the same to me and although to cover ground in "search virgin patch mode" difficult and auto/semi auto maybe the go. To really make the Z sing I forget all the "popular" settings and simply set in manual GB with use of the QT button when needed, normal when possible (mainly in creeks). Probably if you`ve used auto tracking on the PIs/VLFs most of the time this will take some time to get into but I`d learnt back in the VLF/PI tracking detectors to go with manual GB most of the time, thus doing so on the Z has not been a big deal, slows you down a bit but you`ve obviously got the coil control down to pat. Extra deep also is what it says it is I`ve found, not the popular thought that it has no use. Oh but tis a good idea to  turn off those pesky notifications if you are moving around the GB modes, JP reminds me how to do that each time I upgrade my software.?

• Like 2