Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Yes the junk ratio was quite surprising ? This area is much more productive than the campsite I was on before snow (BS).

They would probably be a bit unhappy if I dug everything that beeps here . But maybe not? the Fair week with the rides , booths  and livestock can chew up a site pretty good especially if it rains... the permission came without hesitation. I did volunteer to turn over any fair related historical finds to the fair comittee.       I'm parked next to the "pulling barn" till opening then off in a corner by the warm up track for the harness horses..I might actually find a ?horse shoe ! Then that 12# hoard ??

Mom has taken up most of my day so it is hard to find enough of a length of time to go somewhere to detect, Now I live surrounded by my hunt site .,,,also like you !? I don't think the Fair is that old  (maybe 40s ? ) but who knows what was here before ??  I have a hand drawn bird's eye view map of the two towns I grew up in from 1877 and this place is way off in the distance but it looks like a clearing......the house in the next town my grandmother had where I lived till halfway through high school.was historic register and ON that 1877 map but a lumber yard next door bought it and now it's a paved parking lot.!   Looks like research time huh ?  I've been out on the road for a long time..

Planning on talking to some of the older fair folks when they open it back up this summah , the town library is just around the corner from here too. (At least it WAS when I lived here during the 70s..)  Who knows now. They call it 'gentrification" ,,, the old swimming hole up at the quarries is a retirement village now , "go away with that detector !"?   

I'll try some early morning hunts now before mom ....still need to finish the restoration on my expedition RV . But I can do a lot of that here too. 

Just needed that weather to warm up . It will snow again + 20 tonight and 30 tomorrow but 40s next week. probably not freeze the ground,, too much, mud season begins now too arrrrrrrrgh !?

• Like 2

Those carnival/fair sites have got to be loaded, if they haven't been cleaned out by others.  Loaded, with trash, sure.  But money is flying in and out of pockets like there's no tomorrow at those get-togethers.  Food, drinks, rides, sideshows, and contests of all kinds.  Attendees plan on coming home with empty pockets and sometimes that means drops for us, decades later.  Stay on the good side of the custodians and you've got a hunting site for life.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Those carnival/fair sites have got to be loaded, if they haven't been cleaned out by others.  Loaded, with trash, sure.  But money is flying in and out of pockets like there's no tomorrow at those get-togethers.  Food, drinks, rides, sideshows, and contests of all kinds.  Attendees plan on coming home with empty pockets and sometimes that means drops for us, decades later.  Stay on the good side of the custodians and you've got a hunting site for life.

Fer sure ! I will be doing that but probably head back to the SW in the next few years . 

Think I might have lizard blood , the cold kills me more every year.?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

They would probably be a bit unhappy if I dug everything that beeps here

This reminds me of a campground I worked over last summer, RVP. Lotsa beeps, mitigated some of it by lifting and the rest by ID. What didn't pass the smell test turned out to be a silver dime, a ton of change, and a few rings, one of them gold. Oh, and a plastic rooster. ?

One day I forced myself to use kac's Park Probe as my only tool, and did well. I recommend that thing but a screwdriver or Hori knife would do just as well. A little rain will cover your tracks anyway. I hoped most targets that I wanted were within reach of my pinpointer, sometimes if they weren't I moved on. ?

The only time anyone got nervous (GM) was when he saw me with my Barracuda, I don't bring the Ranger to a public area. ? Showed him how I dig, and he said carry on. ?

• Like 1

After reading the reviews here a Park Probe made it to popeye's most wanted list?

Currently using a brad puller , a larger version used on automotive interiors  , a big straight slot screwdriver , and the hori  to cut "surgical"slots. An all plastic trowel . and a larger metal bladed one . The small garden spade and the small T-REX.  But not all at the same time !? Usually just carry the plastic trowel  pinpointer, auto tool  and the hori.

T-REX , the plastic trowel and pinpointer at a beach.

Barracuda sounds dangerous like the song.

I  also carry a heavy 8?mil square yard of plastic in my back pocket to flop the plug on the edge and then put the dirt from the hole and just fold it and pour the dirt back in the hole before stomping the  plug flap home.

If needed I also have a bag of grass clippings (the grass is all dead now and they are  raked up here so a perfect match ! ?️‍?️ ) I'm using to camo what if any evidence of my digging remains ., I usually just use whatever is already on the ground in the immediate area  .If the plug is dry I use my hydration pack to moisten ..  (It happens faster than I just took to type it though.)

I look up as I demonstrate to landowners and lots of times they are standing there with their mouth open?.. arrrrrrrrrrrr ,got 'em 'ooked  I did  !  

" I'll treat it as if I was you, if you see me doing something you don't like tell me and I'll do it differently."....

But like I said ,,,,they have livestock on this patch of grass I'm on right now ? not too worried.

Cold and windy today , and I wimped out . Found a new digging tool bag at Goodwill $5 and loaded 'er up  plus found a container for my silver.and some little spray bottles for foo water there too.  

Only 34 with 25kt wind today but there is less sno* tonight !

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The latest from uptah camp ,  oooie !

I've been out swinging coils on the fairgrounds a few more times , maybe 20 hours total since I moved here last fall on the 800 . 

Still in factory park1  w/sens at 16  , 50 tone and I switched out the 6 for the 15x12 yesterday... re did some of the areas the 6 had already gone over too.  I'm finding hot spots where the vendors were set up  (one was right in front of my rig parked over in the winter storage area by the road ). Been running on solar only since the snow started up in mid december...

A crap ton of screws , bolts and  nails  (1 old square one ) with  many times that of various pieces of rusty ferrous, maybe a dozen pop top tabs and beaver tails. together and separate .  Only a few bottle caps.  About two bucks of clad .

And added another silver in the form of a 925 earring with an "emerald"? yesterday and a child sized ring  today.

Everything is pretty shallow , the earring was almost on the surface !  But the ring was down about 10" (250mm). The ground is sandy everywhere except where they added about 6" of nice topsoil for the lawn areas. There is another 4" of sand where the individual vendors have added their booths because the topsoil gets super muddy in the rain...    

I'm saving it up so I can post one of those massive hunt shots like some here find in one day with labels  , circles and arrows Including a nice close up of the shinies !

Getting a lot of practice leaving no trace and if I don't , I employ camo tactics. ?

Doing the roadsides too  (That's where I found the earring ! ) where I just dig and fill then use a little kid sized dollar store plastic rake  to smooth out my boot prints from packing it down. 

There is a constant stream of residents of the huge retirement community next door walking by and just imagine this ....not one has asked if I found anything good !  I must be in the Twilight Zone or something ?

But I have scored more than a few dog kisses being down on their level a lot. ?

• Like 3

I haven't been weighing things due to my pocket digital scale being a rusted hulk! 

This morning I remembered I had an old tone arm scale from my record playing days....not super accurate but better than my guessing ..

So. On my recent finds. (With air TIDs / Nox 800  , 15x12)

Sister Pendant 2 grams , TID : 26-27

Earring :  0.8?g , TID 18

Ring : 1.5 g  , TID : 17

I was surprised to find a 925 on fairground bling ! 

A new acid kit soon.

I haven't been keeping track of my hours too much till recently but estimate I'm around 70 on the NOX..and my warranty is up this month or next .. but adding up fast now that I'm living on my permission!!???and don't have drive times cutting into my free time.

Of course the rig restoration is still on winter hold . ? 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Oh AYUH   It's today's update form Uptah Camp ! 

Yesterday I was detecting under some bleachers on an old football practice field over in one corner of the fairgrounds,, nobody anywhere to be seen ...but then there it was . From right behind me ! ? "Didja find anything good ?"

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh  (then my hand stopped reaching for the bear spray.)

And I showed him a racetrack pull tab instead..,but my finds pouch was full of clad !

Then asked him "What's your definition of good?" my new standard answer...skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh. (He said "rings")

I'm going back today and just dig negative #s for shits and grins..

Wish me luck , I'm goin' in !   ( but today I'm using a zig zag pattern to keep 'em from zeroing in on me ! ) 

Oh -- 6 quarters , 1 dime , 4 nickels , 4 memorials , 6 zincolns , ~a half dozen pulltabs , the end of a fluorescent tube bulb , and a few screws and nails . One incredibly tiny piece if wire (Mr. 800 is tuned !) , and no, nothing good ! ? 

There were a LOT of ID #1 , I dug a few and it was a foil back bubble pack like cough drops/etc come in sometimes.  Stay Tuned.

• 7 months later...