Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

How To Find The Best Gold Detector

I often find people on impulse buy the detector then they struggle then they finally do some actual research and look for someone who knows what they are doing and approach them for help. This happens to me constantly and I ended up training all the city dealers customers for them, one dealer actually rang us and asked about our training rate and a few weeks later a guy rocked up unannounced with a brand new GPZ7000 in the box claiming he was here for his training session!! ?

I wore myself out the first three years of opening our shop and now will only train OUR customers who purchase from OUR store (comes free with the GPZ 7000). I would much rather go out detecting and can actually make more money doing so than setting up a full time training business, this is mainly due to my actually putting effort into the customer one on one, some people take longer than others and I could not just leave them when the allotted time was up.  

Apparently I am also known as the “Angry Prospector” ?  because I get a bit short with people who refuse to listen or worse won’t shut up!! I am not there to make friends I have a small window of time to try and get across the interaction between motion, sight and sound, settings are pretty simple with detectors these days but actually swinging the detector and combining those senses to massage a target signal out of the ground is the hardest part, trying to demonstrate this when someone is talking incessantly and not paying attention is maddening and nigh on impossible. 

No matter which detector you buy be honest with yourself about your level of commitment, no amount of training will help if you’re not committed to learning. Trying to sort the wheat from the chaff can be a little daunting when you are doing your research but like Steve said look for the reputable consistently successful people in the area you wish to explore.

JP

• Like 9

I did classes in Alaska and enjoyed them a lot. It was kind of a side gig, where the shop made money, but most went to me. My main problem is I had performance anxiety, because I wanted everyone in the class to find gold. I pulled it off by making it a group effort where people shared in the labor and the gold. I had them rake likely locations down, and take turns hitting it with high frequency detectors. If you got a nugget, detector went to next person. That way I showed how to run a scrape and detect operation, everyone got to use a detector, and find gold with it. In any case I really needed the money then, so I did them. It's not something I am interested in doing myself now, but there is no doubt a market for this sort of thing, divorced from detector sales.

• Like 6

JP,

You should have never told us that tidbit of information!! I now dub thee AP!!?????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I had them rake likely locations down

Spent half the day today prospecting/exploring (no gold) then went back to a producing spot and scraped tailings piles (wash rinse repeat) for 9 itty bitties....  Scraping piles in layers has saved me from the skunk many times.....

• Like 4