Manticores Arriving?

PSPR

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, PSPR said:

You guys seem to be forgetting that Mr. Ebay also can deduct his cost of the Manticore and expenses like shipping and the eBay fee.  So, he isn't going to be taxed on his entire sales price.

He'll get a 1099 on the entire amount, up to him to do the accounting on his 1040 when the IRS come calling.  Still a tidy profit if he plays his cards right, and the buyer doesn't flake out.

he MIGHT be a dealer cashing in? 🙂

20 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:
On 12/13/2022 at 7:42 PM, jasong said:

If they really wanted to squeeze every last dime out of us, I think a better plan would have been to keep the Manticore quiet and release the 700&900 first

That would not have stopped the run away train called the Deus ll flying off the shelf like crazy. They had to stop that train is my personal belief. The Manticore does seem to be equal or close to the Deus, other than a few things like warranty and Deus is actually 2 detectors for the price of one. Yet the actual roll out date seems to move backwards in time or at least supply is extremely limited. Good luck everybody and MERRY CHRISTMAS.

5 hours ago, Geordiedan said:

Wait you guys have to pay taxes if you sell stuff on eBay? 🤯

(sorry for the thread drift)

If you make a dime on anything here in the U.S. the government wants their piece of it.  And they recently passed a bill to hire, I think, 87,000 more IRS agents to go after us.

If you sell something for more than you paid for it, that is a taxable profit.  It's best to keep purchase records if you don't want to get taxed on the whole sales price.

5 minutes ago, PSPR said:

If you make a dime on anything here in the U.S. the government wants their piece of it.  And they recently passed a bill to hire, I think, 87,000 more IRS agents to go after us.

Profound.  You must have gotten up very early this morning and spent a couple hours composing this one.

While we're going OT, here's a story from 30 or so years ago that a friend told me about.  There was a pundit on the radio who was constantly plugging the purchase of gold.  It started back in the early 80's just after gold hit a record high.  The price would come down a bit, rebound a bit, then come down some more -- for over 10 years it was working it's way down from the high.  But he still kept recommending gold as a great investment.  Finally (mid 90's?) it got down to about $300/ozt.  After 15 years of embarrassment the guy threw in the towel and said something like "I've been wrong.   The world has changed.  Gold just doesn't have the respect it once had.  I'm out."  My friend saw that as a sign that the bottom of the market had finally arrived and it was a good time to buy (and it was).

So what does this story have to do with this thread.  Well, I don't think Steve keeps stats on most posts in a month on a single topic but if he did, you broke it by a landslide.  But now no mention in a post of yours of the Manticore and its tardiness.  To me that means I'll have one on my doorstep in the next couple of days!  😁

Back on the manticore deliveries - just had a call from my UK dealer and apparently the whole shipment of manticores are stuck at customs being investigated/checked. The shipment of 7/900s which was sent later has landed in the uk fine though, seems the new product name or whatever has flagged it for additional checks 😞

15 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Profound.  You must have gotten up very early this morning and spent a couple hours composing this one.

While we're going OT, here's a story from 30 or so years ago that a friend told me about.  There was a pundit on the radio who was constantly plugging the purchase of gold.  It started back in the early 80's just after gold hit a record high.  The price would come down a bit, rebound a bit, then come down some more -- for over 10 years it was working it's way down from the high.  But he still kept recommending gold as a great investment.  Finally (mid 90's?) it got down to about $300/ozt.  After 15 years of embarrassment the guy threw in the towel and said something like "I've been wrong.   The world has changed.  Gold just doesn't have the respect it once had.  I'm out."  My friend saw that as a sign that the bottom of the market had finally arrived and it was a good time to buy (and it was).

So what does this story have to do with this thread.  Well, I don't think Steve keeps stats on most posts in a month on a single topic but if he did, you broke it by a landslide.  But now no mention in a post of yours of the Manticore and its tardiness.  To me that means I'll have one on my doorstep in the next couple of days!  😁

LOL  Yeah, psychology on market participants is a killer for most.  Hence the adage, (paraphrased) "Buy when nobody wants it and sell when everybody does."

I'm afraid I broke the posting record for December - at least in the Minelab forum.  If I ever get my Manticore, my postings will drop precipitously. 

44 minutes ago, PSPR said:

Oh, that has got to suck!  Customs must think there are drugs in the waterproof control module.  LOL  That's probably what's going on here, too.  Are they taking the Manticores apart looking for drugs?  :unsure:

So, little did Minelab know when they named the detector, Manticore, that they were giving it a name used by drug dealers for their product?

I've noticed on the TnSharpShooter videos that the name, Manticore, has been removed from his control module face.  I wonder if that had something to do with getting it through customs without scrutiny.

The tester preproduction units didn’t have the final printing on the module which would explain that. Or to fool the drug dogs at the border one of the two 😝