Manticore Complaints?

23 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

And I asked simple questions in return. Year for what? DFX? XTerra? Something else? And why does it matter? Even took the time to try and tell you where to find your own answers. If it's a simple question I'm sure you can find the answer - teach a person to fish instead of giving them the fish. But since I don't see the point of spending my time to look up an answer for you when I don't see how the question has any applicability.... and you won't tell me.

I thought that since you had a DFX manual you would just say when you bought it.  (I didn't think about the XTerra.)  This would give a time frame that would allow Geordiedan to know it was not a Manticore 'quirk' as much as you have pointed out it is a 'quirk' of all detectors for that type of target.  The developers of the DFX and other machines could not 'fix' it and it is a detecting 'law' that we could understand and use to advantage.

I'm glad you answered the way you did because it made me think more about what I hear.

My Manticore has a problem now.    I can no longer do the long-press noise cancel now. It only does the short noise cancelling like on the Equinox. It was working fine for the long-press noise cancel. I have done the factory reset several times both ways. Everything else appears to work okay.  Any suggestions?

Last night I kept doing a factory reset using the power on button until it really did a factory reset. I now can do a long noise cancel again!  I used to be an IBM electronics' technician.  And sometimes, you just got to keep doing what is needed to fix the problem until the electronic say you win.

Reply from Minelab repair center.

Detector Center

Hi Terry Crenshaw!

We are sorry you are having trouble with your Minelab metal detector, and are here to help get you back out detecting as soon as we can.  Your ticket submission has been received and has been assigned an internal Ticket Number of: XXXXX

After the submission is reviewed, you will receive another email with details outlining what is needed to send in your detector for repair.    This is normally completed within about 90 minutes during business hours.

Our ticket system allows us to keep track of conversations and keep you up to date on what's going on.

You can also login to your "Online Portal" with a click below to view status any time.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I thought that since you had a DFX manual you would just say when you bought it.

I bought it as a used cherry condition model a couple years ago, as a match for my Bigfoot coil. I went back and forth between which was better for the coil, DFX or V3i, and finally settled on the DFX. I’ve owned several DFX, and so I just looked in the database myself to see it was first produced in 2001 and discontinued in 2012, an 11 year run.

Which is all beside the point. I try to help people understand that metal detectors have remarkably little information to work with. And the reality is that due to the mix with the ground and other targets, good targets can read bad, and bad targets read good. The problem is not the detector, it’s the target and the physics involved. The alternator theory based devices we use can only see things the way they do, and no amount of engineering can change that, short of changing the physics involved by using a different technology. So if a bad target mimics a good target, you can show it to the end user, or you can hide it. But if you hide it, you hide some genuine good targets also. What’s not going to happen is something magical that makes only bad targets read bad, and all good targets read good.

I do think people want the detectors to perform magic they can’t perform. The magic comes in the context, in other words, the location you are hunting, and then in you, the operator, deciding what to dig or not to dig. You can only do that if you know you have a target. That is why I very rarely completely reject or notch out any targets, but rely on wide open full tone detecting. I hear each target, then I decide, based on my experience, how likely it is that the detector is lying to me or not. And they do lie, all the time. The biggest lie is the ferrous target. Vast numbers of non-ferrous targets get called ferrous. All detectors do it. People who notch out ferrous targets pass over them and never know they were even there. I hear them, and depending on the situation, I may very well dig them. People would be shocked at how many ferrous targets I have dug over the years that turned out non-ferrous.

My main point here is Manticore is new but it’s not. It’s still just the same old game, different package. Some tweaks and twiddles, but all this talk of multi generational leaps and game changing? Give me a break. If it was that, early users would be posting ONG OMG OMG and everyone would be in a rush to sell what we have to jump on this Huge, HUGE advance in metal detecting technology.

Or, people will get it, and it will just be a top performing detector competitive with several other options on the market. Some will like it, some will prefer the others. I’m betting that is how it shakes out, and that in itself denies all the talk of multi generational leaps and game changing technology. We have hit the wall folks, better get used to it, and not expect any new machine is going to change the reality in the ground. Which is that you’d better get out there and find some better locations, and put in those hours, if you really want your finds to increase.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, TerryinHawaii said:

Last night I kept doing a factory reset using the power on button until it really did a factory reset. I now can do a long noise cancel again!  I used to be an IBM electronics' technician.  And sometimes, you just got to keep doing what is needed to fix the problem until the electronic say you win.

I read your post and was thinking that if a factory reset was not fixing it then there was an issue, but I also thought that a factory reset not fixing that was very, very odd. So now it makes sense. However, between you and Chase, I’m seeing hints of an issue with the buttons either not working, or being very difficult to work. Something to watch.

Good to see you post Terry, always good at our age to hear from people. :smile:

10 minutes ago, TerryinHawaii said:

Steve, I agree that the side buttons are difficult to work.  I think that I am a lot older than you.  I will turn 87 this weekend.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TERRY!!! 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2023 at 4:07 AM, strick said:

Maybe a little sensitive to emi like the Nox...some may find the lower shaft a bit flimsy. Larger vid to have to memorize...Otherwise I love the machine. It’s a cherry picker in a park. 

Strick

Strick,

Can you elaborate a bit on "lower shaft a bit flimsy?"  I'm surprised to hear this, given that it's a carbon-fiber shaft.  By "flimsy," do you mean it has "flex" to it?  The only way this would be the case, is if Minelab chose to spec a VERY "thin" wall for the tube.  Otherwise, with a more "standard" tube wall thickness for such an application (usually in the vicinity of 1mm wall thickness) there should not be any noticeable flex, at all.  That short of a tube, with 1mm wall thickness, would be a very stout/stiff tube.  IF there's "flex," making it feel "flimsy," then a very thin-walled tube must be the reason for that...

Steve

• Like 1