Manticore Complaints?

Nox does the same thing in full accept full tones with a transient high tone "zinger" that normally (not always) is a tell for ferrous objects. Also some hot rocks depending on the detector. All Manticore is doing is showing it to you on the screen. It has been around for ages and is specifically discussed on detectors like the X-Terra and some White's models. The common fix was to simply block the highest notch, which is even higher than a silver dollar will normally read. I just hear it and investigate further depending on the circumstances. The X-Terra actually came factory preset with the highest number blocked out.

Just to illustrate how new this new problem is, here is a page out of my White's DFX manual. +95 is the highest reading on the DFX, same as 99 on the Manticore. "Unfortunately in some ground conditions very deep, small, or unusual real metal targets may also indicate +95." (Emphasis added).

I have also seen coins go there. It seems like the highest target id number on detectors is like a dumping ground where the machine says "I don't know" and puts it there. Only time and experience with a machine in your ground will give you a feel for the reality of it, since it is a ground dependent issue.

White's DFX Hot Rock Reject
whites-dfx-hot-rock-reject.png

Minelab X-Terra 705 Default Disc Presets (48 blocked in all cases)
xterra-705-default-disc-modes.png

Steve,

What year was the manual and detector released?

How many 'years' was it in development before it was released?  (Meaning they were dealing with the same sound well before release date.)

23 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Steve,

What year was the manual and detector released?

How many 'years' was it in development before it was released?  (Meaning they were dealing with the same sound well before release date.)

What detector? How does years in development matter? I just updated the post I made with examples from DFX and XTerra. You can find dates of production in the sites Detector Database. I don't see how that matters either. This is the way VLF detectors work and always has been, and I literally just pulled the first two examples that popped up out of my head. Could give more, but if two are not enough oh well.

Here is another hint. This is a sign of too much sensitivity being applied. Makes targets "sparky."

Just a simple question ... 1986?  1992?

23 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Just a simple question ... 1986?  1992?

And I asked simple questions in return. Year for what? DFX? XTerra? Something else? And why does it matter? Even took the time to try and tell you where to find your own answers. If it's a simple question I'm sure you can find the answer - teach a person to fish instead of giving them the fish. But since I don't see the point of spending my time to look up an answer for you when I don't see how the question has any applicability.... and you won't tell me.

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Nox does the same thing in full accept full tones with a transient high tone "zinger" that normally (not always) is a tell for ferrous objects. Also some hot rocks depending on the detector. All Manticore is doing is showing it to you on the screen. It has been around for ages and is specifically discussed on detectors like the X-Terra and some White's models. The common fix was to simply block the highest notch, which is even higher than a silver dollar will normally read. I just hear it and investigate further depending on the circumstances. The X-Terra actually came factory preset with the highest number blocked out.

Just to illustrate how new this new problem is, here is a page out of my White's DFX manual. +95 is the highest reading on the DFX, same as 99 on the Manticore. "Unfortunately in some ground conditions very deep, small, or unusual real metal targets may also indicate +95." (Emphasis added).

I have also seen coins go there. It seems like the highest target id number on detectors is like a dumping ground where the machine says "I don't know" and puts it there. Only time and experience with a machine in your ground will give you a feel for the reality of it, since it is a ground dependent issue.

White's DFX Hot Rock Reject
whites-dfx-hot-rock-reject.png

I've just learned something thx for the info. Will be very useful to have this insight when I decide its time to  move from my 800 to the Manticore.

16 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The common fix was to simply block the highest notch, which is even higher than a silver dollar will normally read. I just hear it and investigate further depending on the circumstances. The X-Terra actually came factory preset with the highest number blocked out.

Just for info , a silver dollar is accepted by the 705 , but several silver dollars are rejected because they fall in the 48 notch ... 🤢   I accidentally discovered this after a few months of use with my Xterra 705 ...

Of course I have modified the preset to accept this 48 notch , so that it would accept a potential hoard or a coin spill  .  I did not find any hoard despite the modif but this is an other story ... 🙂

44 minutes ago, palzynski said:

Just for info , a silver dollar is accepted by the 705 , but that several silver dollars are rejected because they fall in the 48 notch ... 🤢   I accidentally discovered this after a few months of use with my Xterra 705 ...

Of course I have modified the preset to accept this 48 notch , so that it would accept a potential hoard or a coin spill  .  I did not find any hoard despite the modif but this is an other story ... 🙂

Like I said, I have seen upscaled coins upscaled by mineralization fall into that area. Notching anything is risky. The X-Terra though was a perfect example of how this issue has been around for a long time, just dealt with in different ways by manufacturers. If you say "well Steve, my detector never had that problem" it is because that region was blocked out at the factory. You don't know what you are missing, and so never know what little tricks have been played to make a detector play nice for the masses. Like detectors that never have an issue with EMI. Yes they do - you just don't know that your detector is running sub-par in any given area. "There is nothing deep there" can also mean "silent EMI has neutered my detector."

Long story short I do not trust excessively well behaved detectors. At least with X-Terra it was obvious the area was blocked, and you could open it up if you wanted.

My Manticore has a problem now.   I can no longer do the long-press noise cancel now. It only does the short noise cancelling like on the Equinox. It was working fine for the long-press noise cancel. I have done the factory reset several times both ways. Everything else appears to work okay.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, TerryinHawaii said:

My Manticore has a problem now.   I can no longer do the long-press noise cancel now. It only does the short noise cancelling like on the Equinox. It was working fine for the long-press noise cancel. I have done the factory reset several times both ways. Everything else appears to work okay.  Any suggestions?

Suggest you look at the info Chase has given in the Equinox forum under the heading "update on the horse shoe button" you will find contact details for the repair centre, sounds like it needs to be returned Unfortunately.