Depth Indication On The Legend

HerrUU

When I lookup the depth indication in the manual of the legend, they mention that they based it on a 1" coin. However, they don't say how deep the markings are supposed to be? Does anybody know this? I know that depth indication on a metal detector has its limitations but it would still be great to know what the bars mean.

44 minutes ago, HerrUU said:

When I lookup the depth indication in the manual of the legend, they mention that they based it on a 1" coin. However, they don't say how deep the markings are supposed to be? Does anybody know this? I know that depth indication on a metal detector has its limitations but it would still be great to know what the bars mean.

It is very relative based on target size, target type, soil conditions and size of coil.

Just find out for yourself. Take a roughly 1" coin and detect it either on top of the ground or in the ground and see what the depth meter tells you.

• Like 1

A 1 or 2 Euro or older Belgium 20 Francs should work fine. They are the same size as the US and Canadian quarters which I use to test the depth meters on Deus 2, Equinox and Legend. Smaller coins may read a bit deeper. 

• Like 2

I have always relied on the signal's tone volume & width.  On a detector like The Legend (or Deus, Minelab or other high end) that has excellent modulation,, if you can get the various volume levels set right (tone bin, AG, headphone & Master) you will know the depth/size of a target and never need to look at the depth indicator.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2023 at 7:32 AM, JCR said:

I have always relied on the signal's tone volume & width.  On a detector like The Legend (or Deus, Minelab or other high end) that has excellent modulation,, if you can get the various volume levels set right (tone bin, AG, headphone & Master) you will know the depth/size of a target and never need to look at the depth indicator.

This is the level I need to get to.

Using the Legend (and at least in my area), the depth indicator tends to read deep on relatively shallow targets. I spent alot of time digging 6" - 8" starting holes for targets reading 3-4 bars deep, only to find them more like 2" deep. And especially true for actual coin targets. I don't see quite the same discrepancy with the Nox 800 on the same ground/targets.

For whatever reason, foil, pull tabs, etc. tend to read more accurately on the Legend depth indicator for me with the settings I use. Those settings are mainly simple Park M1 or M3, 5 recovery speed 5, noise cx'd and ground balanced, and 15-25 on sensitivity depending upon how close to the power lines I am. 

• Like 3