Recovery Speed Compared To Depth.

I air tested with the 6" coil and a silver dime. I was indoors and using 22 for the sensitivity.

RS=Recovery Speed, DF=Depth on Flat dime, DE=Depth with the dime on Edge.

RS / DF / DE

1 / 10" / 8"

2 / 10" / 8"

3 / 10" / 8"

4 / 10" / 8"

5 / 10" / 8" (default recovery speed)

6 / 9" / 7"

7 / 9" / 7"

8 / 8" / 6"

9 / 7" / 5"

10 / 6" / 4"

So not only did I find no depth difference from 1 to the default of 5, but with all recovery speeds, the faster I moved the dime, the better it was detected.

I just tested the ID and tone with a pull tab touching a dime. The pulltab alone is a 30 ID and the dime is 46. I tried recovery 1, 5, and 10.

With 1, 5, and 10 on the recovery speed, and on M1, M2, and M3, I could get a solid tone with an ID of around 36. So, I would have dug on all three of those recovery speeds. Thing is though, with a 4" depth loss between 5 and 10 on the recovery speed, I'm thinking of keeping my recovery speed at the default of 5, no matter how trashy the site is.

Another eye opener? With the same test at 4 khz, the ID was 46! 

I've been thinking about this for a while, but it looks like from now on, I'm only going to use single frequencies (granted I don't have highly mineralized or salt ground). 

38 minutes ago, Digalicious said:

Another eye opener? With the same test at 4 khz, the ID was 46! 

I've been thinking about this for a while, but it looks like from now on, I'm only going to use single frequencies (granted I don't have highly mineralized or salt ground). 

If you’re mainly cherry picking high conductors in modern trash, not a bad approach to go low SF.  That's taking maximum advantage of these modern SMF detectors as they also have selectable single frequency capability.  But regardless of soil type, if I were going after mid-through-high conductors (e.g., relics) I would keep it in MF as that would “illuminate” targets more consistently regardless of conductivity (you could see the loss of aluminum sensitivity when you went to 4khz).  If you care about nickels and gold jewelry, same principle.

Thanks for that Chase.

I've decided that come spring, I'm going to ignore all coin signals. I'll only be hunting for gold jewelry, and cool / unique relics. As such, on each site, I'll deeply bury a small gold ring, and see what frequency(s) hit it best. It's either going to be M2 or a SF of 15 khz or higher. 

My concern with this approach is missing silver rings with diamonds. Perhaps I'll just ignore 40-48 to ignore the pennies and dimes, or perhaps just ignore 46-48. What do you think of that?

That is a good chart  to give one an idea about how depth is effected. If users (of any detector) would experiment with Recovery adjustments on in ground targets(test bed & wild) they will learn first hand and also other aspects/relationships. How slow/fast can you sweep & still hit a deep small target? What is the effect on the target's tone/TID?  In Iron? In high Minerals?

I try to always experiment a little when I am actually hunting in addition to trying ideas out in my test gardens. Find a deep target or an iffy one & play with the settings to see how they work. Flag it & check it with a different detector. Call it & dig it.  What ever you can think of to learn something new or understand better. To me that is a big part of the fun. And digging good stuff that has been missed too.

JCR,

Thanks.

I was really surprised to see no depth difference between 1 and 5. But, I was just as surprised to find that no matter what the recovery speed, the slower I moved the dime, the less depth I got. The ground is frozen solid here, but I'm going to see what I can do to accomplish an in ground test and make a video about it.

Tucannon,

Hello.

I was indoors and at 22 for the sensitivity. I'll edit my original post to include that 🙂

Place your field site test targets in a safe spot you can find again & leave them there. They make a good test for new settings/coils And EMI mitigation.