Sensitivity Level Compared To Depth

1 hour ago, Digalicious said:

I normally don't assume much of anything either. However, the target characteristics and frequencies have no bearing on the percentage of depth loss when reducing the receivers gain.

Once again, that is a a debatable statement. 

The medium (fairly EMI free air) that the coil detected those targets in that allowed for the results we both noticed, in my opinion is also a target. Change the medium (high EMI, mineralization, amount of moisture and/or multiple competing targets) and drastically change the target size and those percentages may change. Maybe they won't.

It is good to know that I can count on not missing too many targets running my Legend at 25/26 for coin, jewelry and relic hunting. It is also good to know that a person with very little detecting experience can run the Legend in its most basic, conservative settings and still get plenty of depth while missing the little stuff like chatty EMI by running sensitivity at 19/20 or even lower.

7 minutes ago, JCR said:

I have noticed that M3 & the single frequency choices hit a target with a slightly softer response than M1 or M2 at the same settings. I have always wondered about why this is.

Are you using the same settings including audio settings when you notice that about M3?

I jumped into this topic with both feet because this kind of testing is all about learning ones' detector and what it can and can't do. 

I am not trying to start an argument or contradict Digalicious. 

This really is a very interesting topic.

• Like 3

Yes.  All settings constant. It is more noticeable if the target is not too close/strong.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JCR said:

Yes.  All settings constant. It is more noticeable if the target is not too close/strong.

Is this using Park M3 in its Beta version?

I noticed it with the single frequencies at the debut V1.04.  When M3 was added(V1.07?) it had the same soft response.  It has always seemed odd to me,  like the base audio gain is not standardized across all frequency choices.  I have learned to just expect this behavior and keep the adjustable Audio Gain at 3 on every Mode.

• Like 1

This is still the case with the initial V1.10 Beta update. I have not bothered with the revised Beta2.

• Like 1

With detector tests, there almost always has to be a margin of error. For this particular test, I'd say that margin of error is about 1/2". However, that margin of error is too small to change the relevance of the results.

I wasn't surprised by the results of the sensitivity tests. Although in my recovery test, I was really surprised to see no notable depth difference between 1 and 5. Depth difference only occurred once I started to go above 5.

Air tests are good, in ground test targets are better, testing on wild targets in the field are the best. It all adds up to a better understanding of the detector And ourselves.  Keep testing. Keep learning. Keep hunting. Keep having fun.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1