Minelab Responds To Critical You-tuber

strick

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

OK, but if you know me you know I can't let this rest here

You most certainly did not rest. That is a well written and researched post that makes an excellent case for your point of view.

Though an imperfect sort of backyard test, it was at least apples to apples. Regardless what was actually being measured, even if it was after death ghost potential, both were measured pretty much the same. It certainly could not be considered scientifically precise as you say, even aside from confusion over units of measurement, but that is quantitative value. 

To me, qualitative value was a little more interesting. The sound of the tones, the TID given by each on the same targets, the range of TID on the response, the response in time as the detector was swung, etc etc. I was given to wonder what a person might make with the difference in specificity the Manticore appeared to present which was the most interesting quantitative thing and I did not even notice all the stuff you mention in your excellent post. I am dumb that way.

It is a weakness of mine to read these posts and watch the videos and work out in mind exactly how I would use apparent strengths of detectors I will never own for no good reason I can think of. Learning about other detectors helps me learn to use my own. Plus it is the dead of winter in Minnesota, think about detecting is about all I can do with them at the moment. I wish I was wherever that fella was doing that test, I would like to be wearing flip flops. 

GB_, thanks for taking this thread to another level. It really stimulates the thought process.

10 hours ago, Medina said:

Watched a few minutes of his first video, was too painful. Tried a couple of his other vids... merciful feck it was painful. 

Skipped about his second one, explaining the first one..like a joke, if you have to explain it..  That Uncle Fester looking dude is just another "content creator",  Repeating over and over how many videos he put out before he finally got a viral one, shows exactly where his priorities are. 

He's a teacher?? oh, we're screwed.  FCC has limits, yes, and he thought, what, how those limits are processed are all the same, no difference in a 200 or a 2000 detector? That he couldn't grasp the very mechanics of a metal detector and how that particular machine process the blob of EMI its dumping is quite disturbing really... a teacher? 

Once again, you could hand me a Stradivarius and it would still sound like a cat getting strangled. Not the tool, the user. 

I still have an 800(probably 1200 hours) , the Manti, and my CTX (maybe 400/450 hours)... the ctx rules, its too heavy, otherwise, i'd never have bought the Manti. The manti is twice the machine the 800 is, they should have called it the 1600. HA!  That ID line, how it processes, the ability to screw with the various settings...its a poor mans CTX and lighter!  

just my .02 zinc worth, Minelab screwed all the 800 users... I see folks selling them as low as 550 frantic to get the 900 or the Manti. Imagine the dump we'll see when they finally come out with the CTX4040 or whatever..maybe they'll give it a silly name instead of numerical designation so its easier to rationalize the purchase. ...maybe... The Phantosmia! 😄

Tempting to say that the 900 is how M/L fixes a leak and gets  you to pay--but it does have some nice touches.  

Seems that these  days, everyone with a puffed out chest and a YouTube channel is a teacher (or even "Detexpert)"--basic skills and theory notwithstanding.  Amazing how many of these guys have the slickest tech out in hand but still manage to dig spikes, odd  flyspecks and massive, miss-shapen lumps of iron--like I said, basic skills  notwithstanding.  It also  concerns me that Ml/L is so smittten with the tech of the Manticore that they  don't think that anyone needs Sizing Pinpoint to tell whats what.  (To me that's the bread and butter of becoming accurate any machine).  Watching these  YouTube experts, many do-- (if they had the basic target correlation skills to make use of it).  There I've said it all...breathing heavy--gotta sit down--or lie down...or something...😆

cjc

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cjc said:

Tempting to say that the 900 is how M/L fixes a leak and gets  you to pay--but it does have some nice touches.  

Seems that these  days, everyone with a puffed out chest and a YouTube channel is a teacher (or even "Detexpert)"--basic skills and theory notwithstanding.  Amazing how many of these guys have the slickest tech out in hand but still manage to dig spikes, odd  flyspecks and massive, miss-shapen lumps of iron--like I said, basic skills  notwithstanding.  It also  concerns me that Ml/L is so smittten with the tech of the Manticore that they  don't think that anyone needs Sizing Pinpoint to tell whats what.  (To me that's the bread and butter of becoming accurate any machine).  Watching these  YouTube experts, many do-- (if they had the basic target correlation skills to make use of it).  There I've said it all...breathing heavy--gotta sit down--or lie down...or something...😆

cjc

Imagine releasing a product that doesn't properly do what you promised it would do.... and then blaming the malfunction on those  people who didn't purchase said product....whilst telling those who bought it that they must buy it again every 6 months...😂

On 2/2/2023 at 7:31 PM, King-Of-Bling said:

I agree on this one. I usually like his videos. Except for some of his sound effects and comedic bits he sometimes throws in. These were a bit strange. But I do give him credit for getting a response/reply from ML. Nobody else seems to get a reaction. Better than that other guy , who I just don't watch anymore.

haagen-daz has been unlocked :laugh:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, King-Of-Bling said:

Imagine releasing a product that doesn't properly do what you promised it would do.... and then blaming the malfunction on those  people who didn't purchase said product....whilst telling those who bought it that they must buy it again every 6 months...😂

Honestly sounds like coming out with a new apple product every year with minor changes to each iteration. You're only as good as your tools, but you also need to know how to use your tools properly as well! It's the yin and yang of metal detecting I would think! Better to master what you have first, before diving into the rabbit hole of the latest and "greatest" thing.

• Like 3

I personally think merrill is wacky, but for the novice detectorist like myself who is unversed in everything that is metal detecting, he has good tips for hunting beaches (which are my primary hunting grounds). At the very least he and several others have convinced me to purchase my first metal detector (The Legend) through the reviews that I have seen. So it definitely brings more people into the fold to show what it's like to metal detect and the kinds of things to expect, as well as tips and tricks to the trade. Even if he has a tendency to be  dramatic.

9 hours ago, Medina said:

the 10/13ish hours I got on the manti 🤣

If we are going to start renaming like we did with the Equinox, my vote for the Manticore is M core. JMHO. I have seen both used previously.

14 hours ago, Geezer said:

Plus it is the dead of winter in Minnesota, think about detecting is about all I can do with them at the moment. I wish I was wherever that fella was doing that test, I would like to be wearing flip flops. 

"B" is one of my detecting friends. I'm not going to say exactly where he lives but you can probably figure out a general location from my info.  Super nice guy.  

Come on down here and visit us!  I can give you some hints on where to park and which areas are your best chance to find something good. The beaches are sanded back in again but it was high 70's/low 80's most of last week. 

• Like 1