Is The Mi-6 Pinpointer VLF Or Pulse Induction?

CPT_GhostLight

I'm not tying to cause drama or challenge anyone's information, I just read conflicting information and was trying to sort it out for my own edification. I haven't had a chance to use the MI-6 on a saltwater beach yet but if it will perform as well as my F-Pulse there then I'm happy. I suspect it will.

Unfortunately that’s the problem at times — too much conflicting information and fluff wording in the market place.  It is like that old word/saying game by the time it gets to the X person on the end the word/saying has all changed.  Fortunately DP is great place for all of us to figure out any misinformation.  Someone usually has the answer and when in doubt if it works for you then start swinging n finding goodies.

33 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I'm not tying to cause drama or challenge anyone's information, I just read conflicting information and was trying to sort it out for my own edification. I haven't had a chance to use the MI-6 on a saltwater beach yet but if it will perform as well as my F-Pulse there then I'm happy. I suspect it will.

Understood.  CPT you stated earlier your Mi6 manual states VLF technology, but I can’t find that in the Mi4/6 manual on the XP website - is the manual I linked below the same version as the one you have?

https://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/uploads/files/document/manuel-mi-6-02092021_132.pdf

OK. 

Not XP but close enough as far as I'm concerned - Andy Sabisch (Author of the various editions of the Deus Handbook) states that the Mi6 is indeed VLF which supports the published 12 khz frequency spec.  A little background: Early on XP was planning on using PI for the MI6 but switched to VLF because it was more compatible with their wireless system.  That explains the pre-release discussion of PI and why some of us thought it was a PI.

I stand corrected and now we have a reference point if this question comes up again.

HTH

That explains the 12kHz all over their marketing.  I thought the small gold sensitivity was the giveaway, it's pretty damn good on small gold, not the best but up there.

Quote: "If the MI-6 works well why does it matter ( if VLF or PI )? "

It matters to saltwater hunters. PI machines are pretty insensitive to saltwater, so behave themselves at the beach. VLF's are far more likely to false signal on the sand, making them less appealing tools.

Thanks Chase for the update and I also stand corrected, I have a new one here in a box and the manual doesn't say anything about being a PI or a VLF, but it does say 12 kHz which Simon pointed out. I can say that in our hot ground here it handles it extremely well, being Beach or Gold Fields. I also have one paired to my Deus makes finding targets so easy, great bit of kit👌

Pimento good valid point for some if they are working the dry or semi wet sand.  Not trying to be controversial I just do not really see using one in the wet sand or in dry in my situation.  Betting some such as me rarely  use a pin pointer on the beach when processing a bunch of sand.   Really no time in pinpointing when you have a wave crashing on you in surf line and you have a monster sifter in hand.  Majority of time you are digging as fast as you can before a hole fills in, so your sand scoop becomes the primary asset in finding trinkets after the detector locates.  Peepers get tuned in quick especially on those tiny items (earrings, fishing wire, etc).   Of course where we’re located our environment/conditions might be completely different than others and dictate the situation at hand.  As a reasonable guess I am betting I use my pin pointers at beach maybe 1 in 100.

Well out of likes, but thanks for the information and discussion guys.

So even if the MI-6 is VLF, it performs exceptionally well in my hot dirt and iron scrap loaded relic sites. It is way more sensitive to tiny targets than my F-Pulse (PI). When I get to a beach, it is usually in east or west coast Florida. In my experiences there, I only use a pinpointer to chase tiny jewelry that slips through the scoop or to locate a target that disappeared in the hole. I previously used the F-Pulse (PI) and ProFind 35 (VLF) and didn't notice a problem with salt or black sand falsing at all, so I would expect the MI-6 would perform the same.

So far the only real differences I've noticed between VLF and PI pinpointers is that the PI pinpointers go a little deeper, but the VLFs can hit tiny targets the PI misses.

Happy Hunting! 😎

21 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

So far the only real differences I've noticed between VLF and PI pinpointers is that the PI pinpointers go a little deeper, but the VLFs can hit tiny targets the PI misses.

Yup, all the Pulse pinpointers on the market I've tried are gutless on small targets, a side effect of being Pulse designed to tune out salt water and bad ground.  VLF's can run hot on smaller targets, especially ones like the Mi-4/6, TRX, Pro Pointer AT and the Pro-Find35.  The Pulse pointers are certainly deeper on bigger targets.  Remind anyone of detectors? 🙂

Think Gold Bug 2, GPX 5000.