Manticore Headphone Option Experimentation/experiences

2 hours ago, Dug D said:

If you want to read what I think is the latest about the BT LE LC3, I found this, which makes is sound unlikely that Minelab is using it.  Could Minelab be that far in front of the curve?

https://www.androidbrick.com/bluetooth-le-audio-lc3-codec/

I used up my Metal detecting budget, theoretically these could work. But I have a feeling they won't.  Active Noise Canceling, not sure if I want that on all the time.

image.png.e74ed657147a2bf60b7d4514fe36c769.png

A forum member tried to get these to pair up but was unsuccessful.  You can read about it here.

Regarding whether ML is using BT LE LC3 in Manticore, Nox 700/900, and XTerra Pro, well we don't really know if it's going to be compatible with 3rd Party BT LE LC3 Headsets as has been stated previously in this and other threads but we do know the Manticore and Nox 700/900 wireless headsets utilize a system on a chip that was explicitly designed for BT LE LC3 and that ML applied for FCC compliance certification for a BT LE transmitter associated with Manticore.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've just read the FCC Filing for the MC and this document is interesting: https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/Z4C-0054/6366018

It suggests that ML want to keep secret - for the foreseeable future - four documents, three of which contain the word 'wireless' in their title.

I notice that the SoC device that ML are using for their wireless linkage can effectively be used to create 'open' or 'closed' wireless connections using protocols covered by the BT specs.  That is, they may have chosen to use BT, but in a proprietary - closed - way, which would make third-party devices fail to connect.  e.g. at its simplest, they may have built in some logic that says, "...if the manufacturer ID code of the device trying to connect is not equal to "Minelab Pty" then fail..."

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, UKD2User said:

I've just read the FCC Filing for the MC and this document is interesting: https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/Z4C-0054/6366018

It suggests that ML want to keep secret - for the foreseeable future - four documents, three of which contain the word 'wireless' in their title.

I notice that the SoC device that ML are using for their wireless linkage can effectively be used to create 'open' or 'closed' wireless connections using protocols covered by the BT specs.  That is, they may have chosen to use BT, but in a proprietary - closed - way, which would make third-party devices fail to connect.  e.g. at its simplest, they may have built in some logic that says, "...if the manufacturer ID code of the devide trying to connect is not equal to "Minelab Pty" then fail..."

Great detective work.  I really hope you're wrong, but fear you're right.  I can live with this if ML puts out some kind of compatible, but affordable (I know, don't laugh) receiver (a la the Nox WM08) that facilitates untethered use of 3rd party wired phones/earbuds.  I really hate using a kludged up APTX LL dongle setup just so I can use wireless earbuds with my Nox 900.

On the other hand, I am not understanding why it is taking the consumer audio electronics manufacturers so long to get BT LE LC3 compatible audio devices on the market...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2023 at 6:33 PM, UKD2User said:

I assume all of the documents were relatet to the X-Terra Pro. They've been only temporary confidential - pre release I guess.

3 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I assume all of the documents were relatet to the X-Terra Pro. They've been only temporary confidential - pre release I guess.

Nope, if you read the doc it's: a) related to the Manticore specifically, and b) seeking permanent, not temporary, confidentiality re. these items.

• Like 1

Z4C-0054 is definitely X-Terra Pro specific - no word on Manticore anywhere. How ever - the tech being used will be the same on the X-Terra Pro, Equinox 700/900 and Manticore. You're right, some documents will stay confidential, my fault.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sinclair said:

Z4C-0054 is definitely X-Terra Pro specific - no word on Manticore anywhere. How ever - the tech being used will be the same on the X-Terra Pro, Equinox 700/900 and Manticore. You're right, some documents will stay confidential, my fault.

You're right, I quoted the ref for the XTerraPro by mistake.  I think that ML have used the chip/SoC to implement a "closed" wireless subsystem for these machines, but I hope I'm wrong. Interesting to see the codenames they used for the machines:

Manticore = "Sirius"

XTerraPro = "Tormentor" (I wonder which Turkish competitor it was intended to torment? 😁)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKD2User said:

You're right, I quoted the ref for the XTerraPro by mistake.  I think that ML have used the chip/SoC to implement a "closed" wireless subsystem for these machines, but I hope I'm wrong. Interesting to see the codenames they used for the machines:

Manticore = "Sirius"

XTerraPro = "Tormentor" (I wonder which Turkish competitor it was intended to torment? 😁)

Ha.  Those code names are better than the actual names.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Ha.  Those code names are better than the actual names.

Indeed! 😅

18 hours ago, UKD2User said:

I think that ML have used the chip/SoC to implement a "closed" wireless subsystem for these machines, but I hope I'm wrong.

Yep - I second that. Still the reason I didn't buy one.