Two 1800s Coins And Why Audio Matters As Much As Vdi

619_805_okie

This weekend i took to the beach again since things are extremely washed out here in CA (thanks Tom for all the erosion advice). I live in an area of CA without many people which is nice because i can actually find parking but our water here is really cold so most folks aren't swimming. Less swimming isnt good for jewelery but the main beach i frequent goes back to the mid 1800s so there's always a chance of finding some old stuff.

So far I've found around 25 rings at this beach (only two gold) and around a half dozen silver coins and a dozen or so wheat pennies. On friday i set out and got a solid 97 on the d2. Poppup up a scoop with my shovel and out popped a statue of liberty head... clearly not gold... larger than a quarter but smaller than a half dollar. It turns out i located a Theodor Bollenhagen coin dating between 1845 and 1860! This is my first 1800s coin and pretty cool to find on a beach! The front is lady liberty and the back is NYC City Hall. Bad photo, it has a lot more detail in person.

20230317_134536.thumb.jpg.a390ccd0a3c6bdf2b752d07064d00dfa.jpg

20230317_134617.thumb.jpg.f43ceb489b16bf23d6c25e10291215b0.jpg

The next day i dug a lot of quarters, one 1945 silver dime, a 1946 wheatie, and as i was about to leave i found another patch of coins in a 20x20 area. My beach has a lot oh zinc pennies that ring up at every vdi you could imagine from around 50-90. While using beach mode and beach sensetive they do generally have a little twang to the sound that is a dead giveaway though... either way, i dig around 75% of them since im still learning a lot. I was tired and about to pack it up when i got a solid repeatable 88, too low for a dime and very crisp with none of the inconsistency of a zinc penny. So i popped it up and out came an 1896 indian head! My oldest currency I've found and really exciting to find at the beach. 

20230318_171109.thumb.jpg.2b3be125a2f8e085790a7d0627abca0b.jpg

20230318_185132.thumb.jpg.80e655878da4a6edd7d3fc3bfc2a0aec.jpg

These two coins really got me pumped because my county was TINY in the mid 1800s with only 350 residents county-wide in 1850! Next to the indian head i found a small brass coin/token with L.S. 871 stamped in it with a hole in the middle. I'm thinking it may be a luggage token... could the LS possibly stand for Luggage Slip? It was found near the old drop off for the train. Anyways, my lesson here was that the audio tells much more than the vdi and that learning the d2 tones can really save you if you aren't a "dig everything" person.

20230319_140846.thumb.jpg.d10eccd580c4d4802e98e1a9433069f9.jpg

• The title was changed to Two 1800s Coins And Why Audio Matters As Much As Vdi

Impressive and rare find! Looked it up, here's some info:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/exonumia93187.html

It's a 97 on the rarity index, kinda ironic 😀

Great finds especially for a beach. 👍 Your beach is also extremely kind to coins. 🤔

Thanks F350. I can't seem to figure it out but about half the coins i find are caked with green and then i find others that are absolutely perfect. There's an area of the beach where the gnarly ones come from (dry blackish sand above the high water level) then another area about low tide level where they've all been looking great. That being said, we have lost 5-10 vertical feet of sand this year so I'm sure things moved around a ton.

Congrats on the rare and exceptional merchants token.

4 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

Anyways, my lesson here was that the audio tells much more than the vdi and that learning the d2 tones can really save you if you aren't a "dig everything" person.

Would you like to share your audio set-up? 

21 minutes ago, midalake said:

Would you like to share your audio set-up? 

I use standard audio from beach and beach sensitive. I have a tried modifying the two modes a bit but built a lot of confidence with the standard layout. I'm using the 11x13 coil so i do have a second program saved with high reactivity for areas where i get into more iron with coins mixed in.

2 hours ago, 619_805_okie said:

I use standard audio from beach and beach sensitive. I have a tried modifying the two modes a bit but built a lot of confidence with the standard layout.

So to be clear? You use PWM?  Have you modified the MHz of the tone? 

How many tones do you use? 

Correct. I haven't tried square yet. I think beach is 3 tones by default if i remember correctly. I dont really have a use for 5 at the beach since i dig almost everything in the non ferrous range. Ive changed mhz on a few custom programs for coin shooting but dont use those at the beach.